Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 First floor toilet
Author: Jenksnewhome (OH)

I have 2 toilets on the same vent pipe. The main floor toilet is very sluggish and will only flush liquids and very little paper as the bowl fills almost completely before draining slowly. After using a 3 foot auger to check for blockages my next thought was a blocked vent pipe but the basement toilet flushes completely without any issues and there is no grugling from any other drains. The drain pipe from main floor is 3 inch copper and ties into the stack with a 90 and T. From the basement I can hear the water trickling into the 90 so i assumed it wasn't blocked. Any advice?

Re: First floor toilet
Author: hj (AZ)

Since it is an 'upstairs' toilet, the problem is NOT a "vent" or any other system problem. It is a problem in the toilet. There is a big difference between HAVING a closet auger, and knowing HOW to use it properly.

Given that I work have worked at an elementary school for several year and am proficient at using an auger. Any other suggestions.

Author: hj (AZ)

Either there is something in the bowl the auger is NOT removing, or the openings in the bowl are not "open". MANY, MANY times I have come in after someone has been augering the bowl, and removed the problem with my auger.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Could someone (child?) have flushed a toy or other item that is stuck in the toilet trap and partially blocking it? Depending on the size of your auger tip it may be working past the blockage but not moving it. You may need to pull the toilet and look up thru the bottom opening. If you do that you will also have the opportunity to check the closet bend (toilet drain below the floor). You can pour a big bucket of water into the floor drain hole and see that it goes down quickly, that will be evidence that your problem is likely in the toilet trap. The trap in a toilet base is much more bent than a normal pipe trap, it is engineered that way so all the water in the bowl and the trap is siphoned out when flushing, then it refills as the tank refills. Plastic toys and other objects can get stuck in that severe bend in a way that allows water to pass but not solids very well.

Edited 4 times.

The home had 5 little ones in it prior to our purchace. The flange bolts are rusted and need replaced anyway and I already planned on replacing them. I will pull the toilet this evening and I'm sure I will find the peoblem. I will report back later with the results. Thanks guys.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.