Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 P-trap leak--90 with no slip nut
Author: amwne12278 (GA)

I took my p trap apart to clear it out and am having leak problems now. The issue is that the trap has a 90 degree elbow, with no slip nut on on end. If the elbow is tightened on the end with no slip nut, it doesn't line up with the p-trap. If it lines up with the p-trap, it's not tightened. Any idea on the solution here? The picture below shows the issue--thanks!

Re: P-trap leak--90 with no slip nut
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

I would remove all that and start over all the way to the connection between the trap arm and whatever fitting is in the wall. Easy sometimes, other times a bit more challenging.

Unfortunately the trap arm goes into the dry wall no easy way to take it apart. Could I put some teflon tape on the male end of the PVC in the picture above so that the metal fitting will be snug at the right angle? It does not appear to be a compression fitting but I could be wrong

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

How was it together and not leaking before? Can you not put it back the same way?

I don't know how it didn't leak before, but there seems to be some sort of hardened paste on the male PVC fitting which may have been keeping it all together...

That stuff may be pipe dope (thread sealant) or possibly some caulking. If none of your drain pieces are broken it should go back together the same way it was before. Can you post a photo of the other drain pieces you removed?

Yes, you can put some teflon tape on the threads so that the 90 fitting will get tight sooner. The drain is not pressurized, so you don't have to get it any tighter than needed to prevent a leak.

Edited 4 times.

Author: packy (MA)

that male adapter is made into the elbow at the factory. as advised put some teflon tape on the plactic threads and make it up.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is a threaded connection and you just need a bigger wrench so you can tighten it more.

"It is a threaded connection and you just need a bigger wrench so you can tighten it more."

Or easily strip the threads, the male end is pvc.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.