Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathtub faucet slow drip
Author: RichRock (FL)

Hello all!
Bathtub faucet has slow drip that I can't seem to stop...Any ideas?
FWIW: I removed handle for better view.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Bathtub faucet slow drip
Author: Curly (CA)

Need new Moen cartridge #1225.

Also looks like part of the handle is still attached to cartridge. Older style Moen handles are know to separate like that. If so, you will also need new shower valve handle.

Watch some videos on how to replace cartridge.

If you don't fill comfortable doing it- hire a professional.

A lot can wrong very quickly and then you are stuck with no water in the house.......

Thanks!

As far as part of the handle still being attached to cartridge, my best guess is the front circular piece with two tabs.
Here's a closer view...

Here's the handle and parts that I took off...

Author: packy (MA)

that bump on the top hides a tab on a horseshoe shaped clip . pull those pieces towards you to reveal the tab.
after that, watch a few videos to see how to proceed.
moen will send you free parts if you contact them.

Does it still appear that part of the handle still attached to the cartridge?
Pull which pieces towards me?

i don't do much moen work but that front piece with tabs looks like a limit stop to keep the handle from turning too far into the hot zone. it should slide forward and off allowing the pieces behind it to slide forward.

Author: hj (AZ)

That piece is the "handle adapter" to attach the crystal handle to the stem. the metal piece inside the handle "snaps" into it and is NOT supposed to come apart when the handle is removed. That model does NOT have a "limit stop".

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

It looks like you might need an extension stem. Maybe not. When you replace the cartridge, be sure to use a 3/4" copper fitting cleaning brush to remove any calcium inside the valve body. You new cartridge will include lube for easy operation.

hj, so that 'handle adapter' should just pull off? he either needs a new handle or just snap it back together??

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The screw that goes into the cartridge will hold it together, he needs to pry the remaining piece free.

What is the remaining piece that he needs to pry free?

the metal part of the handle that seperated from the plastic part.

quote; You new cartridge will include lube for easy operation.

SINCE WHEN? I have never gotten it with a Moen cartridge.

PRobably stuck, but the two pieces just push together, or get a new one piece handle.

Is this the metal part of the handle that separated from the plastic part that he needs to pry free??

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, it slides upon the cartridge stem. A small thin blade screwdriver blade pushed into that opening should cause it to slide free.

Great, thanks!
Using the screwdriver blade pushed into that opening did not work for me, it stayed stuck, pulled out and turn the water on. I could've put more pressure but felt like I may damage the cartridge. What worked for me, was using 2 small pliers, one on each of the small tabs sticking out. That said, What is the difference between Moen 1225 and 1225b cartridge?...Which would you use?

Edited 1 times.

one is plastic and one is brass.
so lets turn this question back at you..
given the choice of a cheap plastic or quality brass cartridge, which would you use ??

Comparing the 1225 vs 1225b, @ HD, both Specs say "Material: Brass". However, 1225 Specs say "Application: Tub & Shower", where as the 1225b says "Application: Bathroom Sink, Kitchen Sink".

Curly

Need new Moen cartridge #1225...

I believe, the 1225 is Brass and what I need for this bathtub project, thanks!
Which replacement handle do I need to go with it?

Edited 1 times.

Directly from MOEN...

"Moen Single-Handle Replacement Cartridge 1225 & 1225b are exactly the same cartridge, packaged differently. They are both a hybrid of brass and composite (plastic). If you want all brass, you can use 1200/1200b. HD Specs are wrong on 1225/1225b; they can both be used for either kitchen or bath sink or tub. Two basic handles that you can use are Moen #96797 and #100224.".

1225/1225b vs. 1200/1200b

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.