Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Poor drainage, noises, and circumstances from all fixtures in house.
Author: ANealGilbert (AZ)

Our house is cinder block on a concrete foundation. Built in the mid 60's, it used to have a septic, then the town laid sewer pipes and mandatory connection. Since then our plumbing nightmares have grown exponentially. We have had close encounters with a variety of so called experts ranging from pipe whisperers to ECE's (electronic camera explorers). They've journied into the depths from heaven (the vent on the roof), from gateways on the physical plane (from the kitchen and shower drains), and from the belly of the beast itself (the toilet), to no avail. No poltergeist or possession has been revealed (no blockage, clog, nothing).
All medafores aside, here's the chain of events.
I'm in the kitchen washing dishes, I pull the sink plug, and hear "glub, glub, glub" coming from the bathroom twenty feet away, I look and both the toilet and shower are gulping, and I can hear the noise from them in the sink. The toilet bowl goes dry but now the nasty water is coming up in the shower drain. Eventually it goes down too. But over a period of two to three days following, each time the toilet is flushed it sounds like it's all going into the wall. On the third day it erupts like a volcano from the shower drain, and around the base of the toilet, the floor is wet. And the cycle starts over, lasting another two to three days
We've ran snakes from the bathroom to the kitchen, no problem, but from there, there's about 25 feet to the towns main line and the snake won't even go ten feet that direction without jamming and getting stuck in the line. It's literally ripped apart one of my snakes. So if the block is there why does everything go into the wall? Also we installed a one piece "TOTO" toilet with turbo flush, it uses very little water and is brand new, but now there's this black oily sooty looking muck all around the edge of the rim were the water shoots from, what might cause that?

Re: Poor drainage, noises, and circumstances from all fixtures in house.
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

A competent plumber or drain cleaning company will snake the line from your house all the way to the city sewer connection. Even if the blockage is several feet from your house the water and waste you put down your drains each day and night accumulate in your sewer pipe and can't run off as fast as you put it in, so the stuff backs up and start coming out of the drains in the house. It begins at the lowest drain and can continue from there. Have you had your drain line professionally snaked? You've given it some good effort but some jobs are best left to the experienced pros with the know-how and the proper equipment, this is probably what you have.

Edited 1 times.

Yes we've had several over the years, but they don't listen when we tell them where we believe the problem is. Most times they almost act like we've insulted them, when we're only trying to give them a heads up. They all just want to concentrate their efforts in the bathroom. One guy kept calling his boss, he didn't know what he was doing! The only one who seemed to understand the full scope of the problem, has disappeared, can't find him or his business! But hey, thanks for the input. I'll just have to put my foot down, or up (LOL) with the next one.

Ok, so I got a decent answer to one of my questions, thanks. Now how about the other two?
1. Whenever we flush the toilet it sounds like the water is filling up to about five feet high in the wall behind it, then it makes a bubbling noise like a bottled water fountain, but it doesn't sound like the level in the wall goes down at all?
2. We have a brand new TOTO toilet, but every three to four days we ge a black sooty greasy ring. It's coming from up under the rim. It almost looks like coffee grounds. What could be causing this?

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I don't know how your house was built but it sounds like the kitchen sink and maybe the whole house may not have been vented properly. The glug-glug you hear from other drains in other rooms is air being pulled thru those traps by the water draining thru the drain piping. You may need the services of an experienced plumber instead of a drain cleaning service. He can evaluate the plumbing vents to see if there is a problem. And you may want to consider adding a sewer cleanout to the sewer pipe outside so the line from your house to the street can be cleaned thoroughly. It doesn't sound like you have been able to clean the sewer line from the house to the street very well. The experienced plumber could take care of all this.

I don't know anything about the black goop you are seeing in the Toto toilet. Since it is a new toilet perhaps you should contact Toto and ask them. I wouldn't think the rubber flapper or other parts inside the tank would be breaking down this soon. Have you looked inside the toilet tank to see if the black stuff is in there, then going into the bowl when you flush?

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.