Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 605,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dripping Shower Help
Author: joeco316 (PA)

Hello,

I'm a first-time homeowner. Purchased 2 story, 2.5 bath twin in September. Both showers are on the upstairs. The master bathroom has a shower stall with a single knob that controls the water flow and temperature.

The master shower drips intermittently throughout the day. There doesn't seem to be a concrete pattern to what causes it. Using the other shower on the second floor seems to set the dripping off sometimes, but it happens numerous times throughout the day regardless of whether the other shower is used. Sometimes its a pretty steady rain-shower-like drip, sometimes its much slower, and sometimes its not happening at all. The floor of the shower stall is constantly wet because of this, leading to very annoying mold growth on the tiles, shower curtain, and caulking where the wall tiles meet the floor tiles.

When the dripping is occurring, if the sink in the same bathroom is turned on for a few seconds, the dripping stops (temporarily) soon after. I haven't tested whether this same effect would occur with other fixtures throughout the house. Sometimes when I do this, the water flow from the sink is a bit stronger than normal for about 1 second when first turned on. I have replaced the showerhead with another and notice no difference in the dripping.

I should also mention that after using the shower, a clicking or tapping sound can often be heard coming from the shower head or pipe coming out of the wall. I'm not sure if that's just a normal sound from expansion/contracting or if it could be a symptom of the problem as well

I'm very much a novice when it comes to plumbing, but my dad who knows a good bit more than me suggested that it is likely a problem with the mixer and that the knob and plate covering should be removed to assess it. Could it be something as simple as a rubber washer gone bad? He also doesn't seem to believe me about the sink being turned on affecting the dripping. I can't guarantee that it isn't a coincidence, but I'm somewhat sure about it.

Thank you in advance for any help, pointers, information you can provide!

Edited 2 times.

Re: Dripping Shower Help
Author: Hvac2000 (IL)

You need a new single handle cartdrige. It is most likely a moen shower faucet. If you are handy you can do yourself. As for the water pipe noise in the wall. The pipe is probably not secure and there might not be a hammer arrestor connected to that shower pipes. It is ok just a annoying problem.

Re: Dripping Shower Help
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

When shower valves or cartridges get worn they can begin to leak, they have constant water pressure applied to them. When you turn on a nearby sink faucet you are reducing the water pressure in that pipe a little, that can slow or stop the leak since the water is not pressing as hard on the worn valve and it can't leak thru as easily.

Re: Dripping Shower Help :clap:

Thanks for the answers! Very much appreciated.

I determined that its a Delta Monitor 1400 so I ordered an RP19804 cartridge. Based on the videos I've watched, I think I should be able to replace it myself (I hope). Are there any pointers or things that are known to go wrong or that I should watch out for when doing it?

Thanks again!

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If you use pliers to remove the retaining ring, don't grip it tight, it's thin and pliers can compress the ring and make it difficult to remove. I can usually remove them by hand.

Thanks! The retaining ring is the brass piece that is exposed when the metal sleeve in which the knob sits is pulled off, right?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes indeed.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.