Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 NO WATER hot or cold from hot side dual spout & lever handle kitchen faucet.
Author: Louise R (Non-US)

[www.us.kohler.com]

We live on the second floor of a three story condo. Unlimited hot water comes to every suite via one tank. The link you can see above is the 8 year old kitchen faucet we have. We have ZERO WATER coming from the hot side. The cold is fine. Our dishwasher next to the sink is great. All other water sources in the apartment are 100%
Kohler sent us the part they said we needed for the "quick-easy" repair. Installed it ... nothing.
Back to square one. The taps underneath are turned on ... no kinks in the pipes.
This saga started with steadily less water pressure from this hot tap as the years went by. We told the caretaker who suggested we were "not alone ... other complaints of low water pressure." We managed.
All of a sudden the flow became a dribble ... and then it just stopped. Nothing!
Kohler is now sending out a completely new faucet. Apparently it has a lifetime guarantee.
The waiting continues. I have a feeling even installing a totally new tap isn't going to address the problem.
Does this particular pattern portray a situation that is very obvious to everyone but us? Has the time come for us to hire a REAL plumber? Neither of us have that gene apparently ;-)

Edited 2 times.

Re: NO WATER hot or cold from hot side dual spout & lever handle kitchen faucet.
Author: hj (AZ)

A "real plumber' would diagnose WHERE the problem is and then do something to cure it, instead of replacing parts which are NOT the cause of the trouble.

Re: NO WATER hot or cold from hot side dual spout & lever handle kitchen faucet.

I have to agree with your comment. However, what is the first thing that comes to mind after my description of our problem? Methinks at this point that it is going to become a strata problem rather than a problem with our faucet. I shudder to think it is further down the guts of the building.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

If you replace the kitchen sink faucet then it will have to get disconnected from the hot and cold water supply pipes underneath. To do this the shutoff valves under the sink will have to be turned off. When this is done, and before installing the new faucet, turn on the hot water shutoff valve just for an instant to see if you do or do not have hot water coming from the hot water shutoff where the faucet would connect. Have some towels ready. If you do not have hot water flowing then don't install the new faucet, find out what is preventing the hot water from coming out of the shutoff valve that gets connected to the faucet's hot side.

The dishwasher that is working ok, are you sure it is getting hot water? Many dishwashers have a heating element in the bottom area, will heat the water if the incoming water is not hot. The next time you run your dishwasher as soon as you start it and you hear the water filling the bottom area stop the cycle and open the door, see if the water in the bottom is cold or hot. In most installs the dishwasher water line is right there under the sink connected to the same hot water line that goes to the sink faucet. When the dishwasher is filling you can reach under the sink and feel the hot water pipes, see if they are warm or cold.

Edited 2 times.

Just did the test as per your instructions.. Water in dishwasher felt cool at first. Watched for few more minutes. Checked hose under sink. It started getting warm. I am encouraged we are on the right path. When u figure there has been no water through that pipe for two days since we last ran the dishwasher and water came through that hose, of course it would be cold. It's hot now!

The faucet is due in 7 to 10 days. I'll get back to you ... Hopefully with good news! Even before this saga began it always took awhile for the hot water to get going.

That is good, means you are getting hot water up to the tee connection where the dishwasher connects to the hot water pipe under the sink. So the problem is just past that, which is the hot water shutoff valve and the piping. After you remove the old faucet but before you install the new one figure out a way to open the hot water shutoff and see if you are getting good flow of water from it. You'll need some towels, maybe a piece of rubber hose to stick over the end will run most of the water into a bucket. If little or no water comes out then replace the hot water shutoff valve. And that will mean your old faucet is likely ok.

But if you get plenty of hot water out of the hot water shutoff valve then the faucet has a blockage.

Edited 1 times.

Not ignoring you! We are patiently waiting for our replacement faucet to arrive from Kohler. Did I mention that we have had no water coming from the hot side of the tap since November?!!! You would not believe the saga of actually receiving the replacement part ... that didn't work ... and now STILL awaiting the replacement faucet. I still manage to run my kitchen efficiently. I'm just pretending I'm camping. Thank heavens the diswasher is amazing! Yaaaay Bosch! Yes, we WILL be hiring a nice plumber if and when it ever arrives!

Sounds like you are making the best of the situation. Here's an idea to try, under the kitchen sink there are 2 hoses/water supply lines that connect from the shutoff valves to the faucet, one for hot water and the other for cold water. Can you switch these hoses/water supply lines around so that the one connected to the hot shutoff valve is connected to the cold water shutoff, and vice-versa? If the faucet is defective this might give you hot water by moving the faucet knob/lever for the cold water. This won't do any damage, it will be fast & easy to try and you have nothing to lose by trying it while waiting for the new part to arrive.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.