Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Remodeling basement and was asked to install a Backwater Valve..
Author: greyfox Enterprises (MN)

I remodeled our old house and added a bathroom in the same county and same city as a matter of fact. When we eventually sold the house there was no issues with the remodel at all.

Now we are as far as a rough-in inspection and the inspector is adamant about reconfiguring the entire plumbing system and adding a 4 inch back water valve. I've called around a few plumbers and contractors and they all have different answers but most of them were initially shocked that I was told to install that. I have proper venting and we are 11k deep into the remodel. Now in order to satisfy the plumbing inspector we needs to add another 5k or work to reconfigure the entire bathroom just to add this back water valve.

I have two questions;

Is it required to have a Back Water Valve install in Hennepin County MN for existing homes in which there being remodeled?

My second question is... As the home owner, what's the worst that can happen if we decide to NOT install the valve and continue the remodel? I know it wont go well with the inspector but If I don't call him to do the final inspection what are the consequences.

please let me know because I am super frustrated and the remodel is on hold now.

Re: Remodeling basement and was asked to install a Backwater Valve..
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You might apply for a variance from the inspection dept, other than that you will have to install the backwater valve. If you don't call in for a final inspection they can put a stop work order on your project as soon as the permit expires, then they can levy fines against you, and in extreme cases turn off the electricity. You don't want to go down that road.

Author: steve (CA)

MN uses the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code, with State amendments. Search 2012 UPC for section 710.1. This section is about backwater valves.

Author: greyfox Enterprises (MN)

Oh thank you! I will ask for a variance sometime in the next week or so. Do you know more about what the variance requirements are?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.