Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 shark bite fittings
Author: Johnathon (CA)

I'm considering doing my own plumbing. Doe's anyone have any advice or experience with using shark bite fittings? They sure make it simple and easy, but are they reliable?

Re: shark bite fittings
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

At the present time they are reliable. After they have been in service 20 years or more, who knows. I would not even consider plumbing a new home with shark bites. They are many other ways of joining pipes that are time tested and a lot less expensive.

Author: Jroberson (GA)

I have PB and PEX tubing running throughout my mobile home. When the PB lines get old or the QEST fitting start failing I have been replacing with sharkbite fittings and connectors. No leaks or problems. Quick to install.

Author: NoHub (MA)

In my Professional opinion there fine for small (Exposed) jobs like under the sink or a quick emergency repair but I know no Pro's that plum homes with them....not to mention the cost of there things are crazy.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I'd be careful about putting them in places they can't be checked easily later on, like behind a wall. In fact I'm not sure that is even allowed.

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

There are places that allows sharkbites to be used for concealed installations.

The issue with sharkbites is that it is designed to work with many types of pipes like copper, CPVC, PEX etc...thus it has to deal with slight variations of outside diameters. There are o-rings inside the sharkbites that may wear or lose it's plasticity over time whereas soldered or flared connections do not have these parts. Also if the pipes are cut with a tubing cutter and not deburred it could also nick the o-rings when the pipe is seated into the fitting. Lastly sharkbites haven't been around long enough to know if they would last decades.

I am not a pro but do my own plumbing and haven't used sharkbites for anything except temp connections.

The other thing I find about sharkbites is they "swing" so they need to be stabilized.

Edited 2 times.

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

I believe they do make PB x PEX crimp connectors. But in your case I agree shark bites are good. I would be more concerned with the PB pipe than the shark bites.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

I like Sum's advice and would follow it if I were you.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.