Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help identifying a part
Author: Jroberson (GA)

[@#$%&[s54.photobucket.com]][/URL]

I have a bad leak in my two handled bath/shower. I removed the compression stem valves and saw that the hot water side's bottom screw and gasket we're missing. When I looked into the pipe from the wall I discovered that a black plastic tube inside was also tore up. It looks like the valve would actually butt up against it when fully closed. So I need to know what the part is called to replace it and stop the leak but have no idea what it is called. I thought it may be a seat but it doesn't look like any other images online. I attached a picture of the pipe and this black tube inside it (from the good side so it would be intact). I don't know the brand name of the shower/tub as they were here before I moved in.any help would be great

Re: Help identifying a part
Author: packy (MA)

kohler make something like that.. it is called a re-nu barrel
[www.google.com]
a picture of the handles along with the other part would be helpful
kohler barrel has grooves along the side.

Author: Jroberson (GA)

The handles are just universal replacements.
The stem valves were replaced about two years ago. It looks like a smooth black plastic tube inside the pipe separate from the stem and handles. It doesn't seem to spin or just pop out.

Author: steve (CA)

How about a picture of the hot and cold stems, removed from the valve assembly?

Author: NoHub (MA)

Hummmm, I,m throwing a hail Mary and going with Eljer

Author: m & m (MD)

Hopefully Tom Brady has to resort to an incomplete Hail Mary in the closing seconds of next weeks game. But I doubt it. American Standard made a kitchen, lav, and tub faucet years ago that used the same stem. To compensate for the added depth of the tub faucet, they used an extended seat like yours. As already stated, a photo of the stem assembly would be helpful. (Be careful that the bonnet gasket (white ring) doesn't fall off and drop down behind the wall.)

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Google valve stems for showers, tubs and lavatory faucets. There is a site that has all available brands and sizes in photos so you can see what you have. Don't to Hail Mary's with your money....not prudent. Take your time and find the one you need. Try AZPartsmaster.com.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

I will use Johnny Carson's reply to Ed McMann. "All possible stems"?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.