Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Residential sewer line install
Author: rascorp (FL)

Hi: I am building a new home. Due to my existing home problems with sewer drain clogs, I am concerned that my new home will have same issues. Plumbers install rough-in pipes today. I used a level and noticed several sections of the pipe were level and did not show a drop. What is the recommended drop in line to insure ideal drain of toilets? Does the drop need to be at all lengths or can there be perfectly level drain sections?

Re: Residential sewer line install
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Drain lines are normally sloped 1/4 inch per foot of horizontal run but sometimes it will be done a little more or less than that under certain conditions. I don't think the pipe should ever be level or back-sloped. Be careful about sloping the pipe too much, that will aid the water to run off too quickly and possibly leave solid matter behind in the pipe. The water needs to move slowly enough to carry solid waste with it.

Why not discuss your concerns with the plumber doing the work or with the contractor building the home?

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is an "old wive's tale" that too much slope is bad. After all, vertical pipes have "infinite slope".

And solid waste drops straight down on vertical pipes, so the slope in a vertical pipe is not a consideration. It is the horizontal runs that are the worry. How do you slope the drain lines you install?

Edited 2 times.

I use whatever grade is available, point A to point B. Universitylaboratory tests have shown that the AMOUNT of grade is irrelevant as long as it is not flat.

Edited 1 times.

So the misunderstanding is that a slope of 1/4 inch per foot is actually the minimum slope, to ensure it isn't flat, and a greater slope is just fine?

Edited 3 times.

Author: packy (MA)

absolutely wrong... the pipe must be removed and re-installed with the proper slope.
best way to check for slope is.... get a 4 foot level and glue a 1 inch block on one end. set the level on the pipe and it should read level..

That's the way I have always done it.

Thank you all. thumbs
Author: rascorp (FL)

Wow, I have read seven replies. Good ideas and thoughts. Obvious, there are some different opinions out there. Based on the replies, I;m going with a four foot level and a 1 inch block...I did this and found a few locations "level" or "flat", most were 1/4" sloped. No back sloped, thankfully. Yes, I will go to my contractor, but needed to know the answer before I asked the question! Once slap is poured, it is impossible to get anyone to accept responsibility for resulting problems.
Thank you all.

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Here in NC under UPC code 3" and 4" pipe can be sloped at 1/8" per foot. 2" and smaller must be sloped at least 1/4".

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

I was under the impression that a slope much greater than a 1/4 in per foot (like 1 in per foot) results in liquids outrunning the solids and possibly leaving some solids behind.

Vertical pipes (45 deg or greater) are different in that the solids will move by themselves.

Author: steve_g (CA)

I agree with HJ that 'too much slope' is an old wives tale and makes no sense. I've installed drains at 45 degrees and never seen a problem. You see problems with not enough fall, but never with too much.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.