Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain-waste-vent system design - advice
Author: sammy412 (CA)

I'm designing a drain-waste-vent system to handle two baths and laundry. I'll be tying into 4" ABS sewage line, that has a 2 inch vent (See figure 1). It's a Single story house with crawl space, in Southern California with very moderate temperature. All venting will go straight up through roof.

Questions:

Are there enough vents (i.e. does the washing machine need its own vent)?
Is the location of the vents correct?
Is the plumbing sized correctly?
Any problems with this design?

Existing plumbing:

Proposed Design:

Re: Drain-waste-vent system design - advice
Author: packy (MA)

you've made it way to complicated.
first off, as drawn the washer does need a vent.
next, take the bathroom sink and tie it into the toilet drain and tie the tub into the sink drain. one 2 inch vent will take all of that.
then tie the tub into the other toilet drain and vent that 2 inch.
we really need a side view to get any further.

[i.stack.imgur.com]

I followed the advice from a few forum members. Thank you all so much. The floorplan for Bathroom B has changed and now I have a new design. Many thanks to forum participants for all their tips.

Please let me know if I am on the right path to a good and UPC code worthy design. Is the venting correct?

closer but still far away...
eg.. the toilet at the top shows a dry vent taken off the back of a fitting. how long until that dry vent will clog and become useless?? not to mention that it is prohibited to run flat until it is 6 inches above the flood rim of the highest fixture it serves.
no one can tell (here or on any other forum) without a side view of your proposal..

Author: sum (FL)

Not a plumber but what is the purpose of the 2" vent at the lower right corner off the 4" pipe? What fixture does that serve?

It may be easier to do an ISO to get real opinion as it is hard to comment just on the horizontal without taking into consideration of the vertical. Also for wet venting distance along pipes matter so important to show distances.

Packy just curious is it better to plumb DWV of each "bath group" on their own before tying them together? Or is it better to plumb clusters of fixtures in close proximity?

I have more than 2' vertical space in the crawl space. The runs to Toilet B is about 12". For all the plumbing I had planned to slope the standard 1" per 4' of pluming. Can you let me know how to vent that toilet or would you like me to make an attempt first?

sum, so much depends on the existing framing (floor joist). i have done more keeping the same bathroom piped as a single group but i've done some where the directions of the joist made grouping them impossible.

What are the down sides to keeping venting separate? More holes in the roof, cost??? It seems easier down the road to troubleshoot or repair if they are separate.

In my opinion (and I am not a plumber so...) too many vents can be confusing.

As far as ease of trouble shooting, I think of trouble shooting by yourself the person who did it as well as trouble shooting by someone else not you later on once you sold the place or whatever. The more vents there are I think the more confusing it gets.

Also more vents is more roof penetration which means more chance of moisture penetration. If you re-vent and tie some together in the attic, then your attic is harder to navigate...I go up to the attic to make repairs and vent pipes, rigid electrical conduits, AC duct works are always in the way.

Also more vent pipes in the stud bay going up the walls could put limitations on future improvements. For example you may want to put in a pocket door and a vent is in the way or you want to open up a wall and a vent is in the way.

There are many considerations that goes into a DWV design. Different people tend to optimize their design differently, by cost, by ease of installation, etc...I personally tend to optimize to provide the least number of joints and directional change, and I tend to have the lav and shower tie into the toilet line sooner, so the water from these fixtures could rinse that line when these fixtures are used.

Here is my latest design and I am ready to build once I figure out if is going to work.

Layout (birdseye view):
[imgur.com]

Center Leg of above layout (side view):
[imgur.com]

Right leg of above layout (side view):
[imgur.com]

I want to know if the system will work (odors, clogs, etc). Should I add any cleanouts (i.e. shower tubs etc?) If so do they go upstream or downstream from the p-traps? Do I use sanitary T or a long turn wye for a cleanout?

Please comment so I can get to building.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.