Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Diverter question
Author: shally000 (LA)

I have a question about diverter valves, if anyone would be kind enough to answer.
I am a layperson trying to choose a tub and shower trim and valve set for a complete bathroom remodel. The plumbing is exposed right now so we can pretty much do whatever we need to without breaking into the walls.

I'm looking at an American Standard set that has a showerhead, mixer valve with diverter and spout. I want to add a handheld. I think I want to add a separate diverter valve and trim on its own, so that I can switch back and forth between the three things-shower, spout and handheld. Can I add that separate diverter if the mixer valve has a diverter or if the spout has one? In other words if the spout, say, comes with a diverter valve, will it conflict if I add the separate 3 way one as a separate handle? I'm thinking I'll need a 3 way shared one if I want to run more than one thing at a time.

Also, any random thoughts, info, warnings would be appreciated regarding this type of installation.

Skill level is pretty good but mostly basic stuff. Trying to upgrade but it can get confusing.

Thanks

Re: Diverter question
Author: packy (MA)

you will want an american standard mixing valve, shower only type.
it has a hot in, a cold in and a blended water out ports.
from the blended water out port you run one pipe to a 4 way diverter valve.
the 4 way has.. an inlet port which accepts the blended water from the shower valve and 3 outlet ports.
each of the outlet ports can be selected by rotating a handle.
one port to a shower head
one port to a hand held
one port to a tub spout.
there are many type diverters. the sponsor sells this type.
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Thank you! smiling smiley
Author: shally000 (LA)

Thank you!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.