Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 well pump/tank pressure issue
Author: headusher (NC)

The other day we noticed the water pressure increased quite a bit. Called a plumber we know and he said the tank pressure was too high (45-55 setting) and adjusted it for a 30-50 psi system. Can't explain why the pressure settings changed. This worked fine until last night when the water pressure was low and the pump started cycling off/on every few seconds when water was being used. Checked the tank pressure again and it was back up around 45lbs. When I drained the tank to check the pressure reading I only got about a cup of water to drain. Set the tank pressure at 28lbs and turned the system back on. Worked fine for about 7 hours then the pumps started cycling on/off again. Again the tank pressure was in the high 30s. Reset the pressure again for 28lbs ands is working fine again.

Any suggestions on what's going on? Tank appears to be ok, no water coming out of the air valve, tapping side indicates it's not water logged. Pump appears to be running fine. Waiting for the plumber to get back to me.

Re: well pump/tank pressure issue
Author: hj (AZ)

If it only took a "cup of water" to drain the tank, it IS water logged, and there is almost ZERO air in the reservoir. You have to drain the tank, leave a faucet open, and THEN pressurize the tank with air to the proper amount.

Does this imply that I need a new tank. It just happened again after a shower. The pressure was up over 10 lbs and only a small amount of water drained. I reset the pressure in the tank and everything appears normal again...for now.

To lower the pressure I release the air from the tanks air valve. What is this air that I release?? I ask this because my understanding of a water logged tank means there is no air in it.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

It means that there is very little air in it. The tank is mostly full of water, when it should be about half and half. you CANNOT "reset" the pressure unless all the water pressure is out of the tank and a faucet is opened so the new air can push water out of the tank.

ok thanks. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for everyone's input. thumbs

It was a bad bladder. Freaky symptoms had us stumped for a while. Thanks for everyone's input.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.