Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Possessed Plumbing
Author: Catenary Kid (MI)

We've somehow developed a very unique (I think) situation and I need some help with it.

We had a fairly extensive remodeling job done in 2012 which included remodeling our main bathroom complete with new fixtures, etc., and installing a new bathroom in the basement with everything new. Most of our plumbing was installed years before and we never had a problem with it. About 2 years ago, we would occasionally notice a loud vibration in our plumbing which would happen once in a blue moon and only while we were filling our basement Jacuzzi using nothing but hot water. Over time this happened more and more frequently and it began happening with a mix of hot and cold water, too. Then it started happening while we'd be in the shower, and when it did, the cold water diminished like we were running straight hot water. Last weekend I noticed it was happening while the washing machine was filling, too. I should probably tell you the noise went from a loud vibration to a screaming howl. It is annoying as hell, to say the least. As of yet, it is only happening when we use fixtures on the plumbing that was installed new in our remodel of '12.

The only thing I've changed since the remodel is I put a new pressure switch on it yesterday. I went from a 20/40 to a 50/70 for several other reasons, but that didn't make much difference. I noticed the problem while the wife was in the shower this morning.

Have you guys ever run into this before? Can you offer any advice? Is it possible my plumbing is haunted or possessed?

Any help would be appreciated....

PS: The howling seems to be coming from the mixing valve in the shower, in one of the shutoff valves in the hot water feed to the downstairs bathroom in the utility space and God only knows where in the washing machine. Also, there is considerably less pressure/flow from the hot water side than the cold, but I suspect this may be normal?

Re: Possessed Plumbing
Author: m & m (MD)

Since you are on a well, eliminate the pump side of the system from being the problem before anything else. Check valves, when defective, can really make a racket. After that, start at the tank and move from there thru the system methodically.

Author: packy (MA)

"As of yet, it is only happening when we use fixtures on the plumbing that was installed new in our remodel of '12."...
kinda makes me think the pump or check valve are not the problem..

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

could be a pipe that was not strapped properly, or a washer in a valve. These sounds are often difficult to isolate but you must keep trying to find the problem. Can you obtain the use of a Stethascope from a Doctor friend. Many times you can locate the loudest sound and search in that area by removing drywall at the site of the loudest sound. Good luck.

Thanks smiling smiley
Author: Catenary Kid (MI)

Here's an update - and hopefully a final note on this.

I have no idea how these things happen, but in frustration, I contacted Premier, the makers of my shower and tub faucet and told them what was happening. They said the problem was my balancer, asked me to send them a photo and sent me a new one at no charge. I opened the unit up by pulling the handle, trim pieces and escutcheon, shut the flow off at the mixing valve and replaced the cartridge. Bingo! Done! No more noise from any of my plumbing since. Not from the tub, washer or shower. Go figure!

So, thanks for the help and it just goes to show you. I don't know what it goes to show you, it just does!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.