Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pipes in unheated room
Author: Beccabutton22 (MI)

I recently purchased a home in which the room where main pipes come in, water heater, toilet, sink, and washer are all in. The problem is the room isn't heated and has very poor insulation.I have been heating it with an electric heater, but the bill has become outrageous. I'm wondering if anyone has any opunions on how I should prevent these pipes from freezing. I'm looking into heated pipe wrap, but I'm on a slab. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I'm assuming if I don't heat it, then the slab will get too cold and the pipes under will freeze.. Please help!

Re: Pipes in unheated room
Author: packy (MA)

pipe wrap will not help the toilet. it will freeze.
you have to heat the room to above freezing and insulate it to keep the cost down.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You need to have some heat in that room. Even if you wrapped the pipes with heat tape or insulation you still have to worry about the toilet tank + bowl, sink trap, washing machine, etc. Electric baseboard heaters might be an option.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

.....and has very poor insulation.....

you actually know what needs doing

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

without insulation, you are heating the outdoors more than the plumbing. The addition of heat to an area is the ONLY thing that will prevent freezing. Pipe insulation by itself only slows the process down, and also makes thawing the pipes after they freeze more difficult.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Your heating issue can be mostly resolved in layers. Insulate the inside walls. Heat Cord, by Frostex for the pipes and supplies. You can insulate over the heat cord as well. Eliminate any drafts openings and monitor that room temperature during freezing times. Do your homework, in layers and save your money.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.