Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hearing water noise behind bathtub wall
Author: Sweldin (TX)

We own a house built in 1997. Replacing tub spout and handle and I can hear what sounds like water running behind the wall. I checked the water meter and water is running. Thoughts?

Re: Hearing water noise behind bathtub wall
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Water is going somewhere, maybe the toilet fill valve is constantly running, maybe relief valve on the water heater is leaking. Is the house on a slab ? There is no visible leakage anywhere ?

No leaks evident. House is on a slab. Meter has small triangle shaped arrow. Barely moves. Then stops. Then moves again and stops. Should I open up sheetrock behind tub to look at the piping?

Edited 1 times.

No, I think the problem is in the toilet tank. The flapper is likely leaking thru and the fill valve is just doing it's job of keeping the toilet tank full.

The toilet is not right beaide the tub. It is across from it. But, how do I check toilet? Just open up top right?

Author: packy (MA)

put some food coloring in the tank water and leave it for 10-15 minutes. if the colored water shows up in the bowl, replace the flapper.

Since the house is on a slab there's a chance that the cold water for the toilet is tee'd in at the cold water supply for the bathtub, right behind the tub faucet and drain assembly.

Thanks so much guys!! :thumb:

Good news! I did the dye test and sure enough the flapper is bad!! Thanks so much guys!!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks so much guys!! :thumb:
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Do yourself a favor and determine the make and model of the toilet so you can purchase the correct flapper by Part number. They make so many different flappers and only one will fit properly. The Part Number from the Manufacturer,

Re: Thanks so much guys!! :thumb:

Hi:
Thanks for this advice! I put a fits all flapper and I am still hearing the noise. Will check for make and model.
Even with no water in the toilet and the water turned off, I still hear water moving in the wall. I think it is not the toilet.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.