Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet surges, septic gas let in, without any water use in house
Author: Seattle Dan (WA)

Hi All, very puzzling problem. I've never seen this before. One toilet surges to the point it 'burps' septic gas in the house. Sometimes a sink upstairs does it too, in unison with the toilet.

Here's what it looks like with a modest surge: [www.dropbox.com]

Some details:

1) The house faces the waters; it's often quite windy. I've put an 'RV vent cover' on one of the 3 vents; the top most one. I'll try covering the other vents. Some have said strong winds over the vent can cause this sloshing. The vent i used was [www.amazon.com]

2) This happen when no water is being used.

3) I am on FAST septic with a blower that runs 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off (cabin, so on a reduced duty cycle). The sloshing does not last the full 20 minutes.

4) I'll be checking to see if the septic system purge cycles coincides with this surging. Seems very unlikely to be related.

5) It does without saying that there is backup... we can run showers, flush as much as we want, etc with to problems of sluggishness of flow.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Re: Toilet surges, septic gas let in, without any water use in house
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Positive pressure is being trapped in the drainage system and being forced thru the toilet trap. I know of several homes where the water in the bowl will slosh around like that during windy conditions. A Sweet Air charcoal vent extension will prevent the winds from causing that much pressure in the piping system.
I've never saw it so bad that it let sewer gas escape into the home before though. What is this fast septic system you speak of ?

Thanks NCP thumbs
Author: Seattle Dan (WA)

Thanks NCP. I'll look into the charcoal. I'll report back if problem is solved.

The FAST system is this one: [www.biomicrobics.com]
I live on an island, water front and the system processes waste so well the drain field is drip irrigation hose.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.