Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need help with wet vent
Author: nicksab (CA)

Hey everyone

I need some advice regarding my drain layout. ( see picture)

I am in California under UPC

The toilet drain into a long sweep 90 then drop down with 2 45 degree into a wye on a 3" drain. The drain has a wet vent upstream of the wye. The wet vent is from a sink which is 2" all the way to the roof and connect to the 3"drain via a combo wye.

Would this satisfy code requirement? Is there any other way to do this?

Thank you for your

Re: Need help with wet vent
Author: steve (CA)

Looks good to me.

Thank you Steve.

I was just concerned mostly about the toilet drain because it is higher than the 3" drain portion where the wet vent and dropping into it with 2 45 back to back.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

You point out the wye down in the vertical line which is not the most desired way to install but it will work. The closer the vent to the closet the easier it is to allow the vent to function. Sometimes you cannot install the way you want and have to resort to what can still work instead.

Author: packy (MA)

my code says the toilet can be 20 inches above its vent.
i would have turned the long sweep at a 45 and run it straight into the branch of the 3 inch "Y" with a 3 x 2 "Y" downstream of it for the vent. you also don't have a cleanout in the 2 inch pipe.

@ PlumberLoren

I know that sometimes remodeling can make plumbing look funny. smile

I am not sure which vertical line you are referring to. The wet vent is about 3" from the WC and is upstream of the closet WYE on the 3" waste drain.

Edited 2 times.

@ Packy

I think you are looking at the drain from the shower drain on the right side of the first picture. It does not have a cleanout because it is a p-trap going to a long sweep then into the vertical 3x2 WYE.

I am talking about the connection on the top left of the first picture where the sink drain comes down into a combo wye and serves as a wet vent for the toilet. the toile drain is coming from the top of the picture into 2 45 back to back then into a wye downstream of the wet vent/sink drain.

Author: sum (FL)

A bit confusing without annotations of what is what. Is the toilet drain elbow actually outside of the first picture and the 3" drain coming down on the top right of your first picture the toilet line? Also you said in your first post the sink wet vent is "upstream" of the wye, but your lastest post said it is downstream of the wye, is the sink wet vent actually upstream or downstream of the wye into which the toilet drain ties in or these are two different wyes you were referring to?

I think what Packy said was the 3" on the top right side of the first picture, if indeed that was the toilet line could tie in "better". You ran that line almost parallel with the main line and had to use two 45s, one to bring it lower and the other to angle it to the branch of the wye. Is there any reason you could not position the closet bend lower such that it is slightly higher than the main line by 1/4" per foot, then rotate the bottom of the elbow to point to the main line at a 45 angle, and where that rotated elbow intersects the main line is where the wye goes. That eliminates the two 45s, less joints and easier to snake.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Sum, in the last picture, you can see the horizontal toilet drain has to clear the top of a beam, before it can drop down to the horizontal branch.

Author: packy (MA)

nick, I can see that. code says that 2 inch drain from the sink must have a cleanout in it.
chances are it will not clog for the next 150 years but we plumbers must comply with the code..

@ sum

I understand your point. Yes the 3" main drain runs parallel to the 3"WC drain. However, the toilet drain is 4" higher than the main and I can't lower it because of a support beam. I can go up but not down.

I could have the toilet drain go straight to the plywood in front. I would still need to use a 45 and a wye to drop it down so I can get a 3x2 wye for the sink drain/ wet vent. However the wet vent will be 2" and run horizontal for at least a foot before get into the 3 " drain.

The wet vent is upstream of the toilet wye on the main drain.

@packy

The sink drain will have a cleanout. On the first pic, the open 3x2 wye is where the sink drain is connected to coming from the top. This 3X2 wye would serve as a cleanout for the main as well as the sink.

Here is some ( really bad ) annotatiom

Edited 1 times.

steve yes I see that now. I wasn't paying much attention to the second pic.

nick, in the second pic, I see the toilet drain has to clear the top of a beam going across, while it runs parallel to a higher beam.

How far back is the toilet? That picture is blurry I see the pipe goes back and there is some more wood framing there, not sure if the drain runs through a hole in that framing, or if it turns up before it.

Sum

The toilet flange is right above the beam. The long sweep 90 goes vertical a little after the center of the beam. I thought about using an offset flange but it is not enough to clear the beam. Using two 45 instead of the long sweep does not work either. :-(

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.