Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replacing dishwasher question...
Author: RichRock (FL)

Hello all...First time, log time!
Replacing old dishwasher and copper water line but need extended time before installing new DW and stainless flex line, without shutting off water to entire house. FWIW, I checked shutoff valve for leak by closing it and running a "quick rinse" cycle (10 min) test...No leak. Assuming, the new flex line gets attached at point A, how safe is it to disconnect the old copper line, at point A, for an extended time, before attaching the new flex line? OR do I need to cap it off? If cap off is needed, what would you use and where?

Shut off valve for DW under kitchen sink

Copper water line from shut off valve, through wall to DW.

Copper water line attached to old DW

Edited 1 times.

Re: Replacing dishwasher question...
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

How long is an extended time ? For a few hours I wouldn't cap it, if for overnight or longer I'd use a 1/4" compression cap, at point A.

Author: packy (MA)

it is fine to disconnect 'A' and cap it with a 3/8" compression cap.
i would take 'B' apart, clean it up with some steel wool, put some grease on it and retighten.
the fitting you have there is a 1/2 x 3/8 compression union. a 3/8 flexible supply will fit right onto the side marked 'A'.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is hard to tell without anything to compare it with, but if that is 1/2" (5/8 o.d.) copper on the right, then the reduced size MAY BE 3/8" i.d. (1.2" o.d.).

that is a 1/2" copper stop valve so the tubing is 5/8 OD -- 1/2 ID. then the plumber stuck a piece of 1/2 inch OD copper into the 1/2 ID copper and soldered it. then used a 1/2 x 3/8 compression union to run 3/8 to the machime.
that is a 3/8 male by 3/8 compression elbow at the DW inlet.
i'd bet the mortgage on it...

As for an extended time...I mean, at least, a matter of days.

A DIYer friend recommended to disassemble the copper, A, and remove the fitting between "A" & "B", and the new flex line will screw into the 1/2" nut "B"...
Thoughts?

Here's a closer pic of the body of the valve that I hope might be helpful:

the flexible connector has a female swivel end it will fit perfectly onto the male end of the fitting which you have labeled "A".
if the shut off stops the water then leaving it open for a couple of days will do no harm.. it will not all of a sudden open itself and flood the neighborhood.
lastly, 99% of dishwasher are now coming thru with a male hose thread for the water connection. (like a washing machine has). you will need a 3/4 female swivel hose thread x 3/8 compression 90. a very common item.
[www.google.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

"A" is 3/8 compression

simply use a 3/8 OD compression cap

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

The new DW comes with the following flexible connector set, which I'd like to replace the copper line with:

that is perfect.. just be very careful when threading on that hose adapter. metal female threads going onto male plastic threads can be very easy to cross thread.

Great, thanks...Will do!

With the new flex line, do I need both 'A" & "B" with what looks like a fitting in between them? I'm considering disassembling and removing "A", and the fitting between "A" & "B", then screwing the flex line, directly into "B".
Thoughts??

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.