Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drippy Faucet
Author: Jeff L (CA)

I went to replace a washer in the cold water bathroom basin faucet, and saw that the cup at the end of the stem was deteriorating. So, I put in a new stem which came with a new washer, and I also put in a new seat, but I still have to turn the faucet handle kind of tight to fully stop the spout drip. I don't know where to go from here.

Re: Drippy Faucet
Author: packy (MA)

it seems as if you did everything correctly. if it stops dripping then the place where the seat screws into the faucet body is tight and not letting water thru.
give it a couple of days and if it doesn't get better, change the washer.
not much else you can do..

Author: Jeff L (CA)

Thanks for the reply, but just for grins, I just replaced the washer that came installed in the new stem with another new washer from my collection. It works fine now! Nothing is ever easy :-( I have a feeling that the old seat was OK, but since I bought a lifetime supply of seats, I'm not going to put the old one back to find out.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Washers are made from different types of Rubber. Some are really hard some aren't as hard.. The softer ones may wear out sooner, I don't know for sure but I think the harder ones are cheaper for the manufacturer, I am guessing because it seams that most manufacturers are in a race to the bottom with their quality.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.