Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Poor flow from shower faucet
Author: Bill Danger (KY)

Please help. I have recently replaced all the galvanized in my house with pex. All other water sources in the house have great water pressure. However the shower is still just a trickle. When i take the stems out and let the water run the water hits the far wall in the shower so i know that the actual water pressure is not the issue. I have replaced the stems and that seemed to make the water flow even slower. Does anyone have a suggestion to try before I call a plumber.

Re: Poor flow from shower faucet
Author: packy (MA)

the pipe from the shower valve to the elbow that the shower head is screwed into is still galvanized ??

No it is copper

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

somewhere between the point the hot and cold enter the shower valve and the point where they meet (like a tee but integral to the valve) there is still debris.
may be as simple as pulling the stems and sticking a wire sideways towards the center trying to find a hole to clear. do both sides..

I will try that, I was hoping not to cut into the wall, but figured I would end up doing that anyway either to replace the existing plumbing or to see if it was clogged. Thank you for the help.

I tried that couldnt get the wire in far enough I guess. I think i might just need to take the valve out and clear it that way

Author: asktom (MT)

I assume you tried it with the shower head off.

Remove the shower hear and, using a female swivel hose x 1/2" female adapter, hook a garden hose to the shower arm. Turn off the hot water at the water heater, remove the hot stem then turn on the hose. This will back flush the and should blow out any debris.

Great thank you for the tip..... should i do it on hot and cold? I built manifold system when putting pex in so i can isolate just the shower

Also yes I have tried without the shower head. I am gueesing if yhe build up it too much i could try hooking it to a pessure washer to get more force or woukd that be to much pressure

Author: asktom (MT)

If you can shut off the shower completely, then pulling both hot and cold stems and back flushing through the shower arm is the way to go. If you are worried about getting water in the wall, pull the stem out of the stem body and screw in the body, that will poke you out a little farther.

Author: hj (AZ)

I am going to guess that the valve body was for a tub/shower unit, and they just plugged the tub outlet. If so, there is probably debris accumulated at the "restrictor" port, and if so, it is almost impossible to get it unplugged without disassembling the valve body.

Thank you all for your help clap

Back washing worked marvelously, about a Tbsp of debris if not more came out. Thank you all for your help

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.