Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 does shutoff valve for sillcock required by code in SC?
Author: zincli (SC)

Dear All,

I recently bought a house in York country South Carolina, and found that there is only one main shutoff valve for the house but no shutoff valves for sillcocks. Does it violate the plumbing code? I tried to google search the plumbing code in SC but didn't get a clear answer.

Can someone tell me whether the shutoff valves for sillcock is required by code or not, or guide me to the resource that I can find it out myself? Thank you in advance and I really appreciate your time and help.

Update:
Thank you so much for the reply. The house is a 2016 new house and the exterior faucets are not freeze-proof.

I'm not sure if SC is using International Plumbing Code. I found that in the section of 606.2 in 2009 International Plumbing code ?[law.resource.org] shows

606.2 Location of shutoff valves. Shutoff valves shall be installed in the following locations:
1. Onthe fixture supplyto each plumbingfixture otherthan bathtubs and showers in one- and two-family residential occupancies, and other than in individual sleeping units that are provided with unit shutoff valves in hotels, motels, boarding houses and similar occupancies.
2. On the water supply pipe to each sillcock.
3. On the water supply pipe to each appliance or mechanical equipment.

I'm not sure if the code above applied to York county in SC and couldn't find the answer. Any suggestion or comment is great appreciated. Thank you.

Edited 1 times.

Re: does shutoff valve for sillcock required by code in SC?
Author: m & m (MD)

The age of the house will be a factor in the answer. If it is a very old house , it may not have been required under old codes to have the valve. Generally, plumbing codes have required individual stops at fixtures for quite a long time.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

But a sillcock is not considered a plumbing fixture, at least not under UPC, thus no valve is required.

Author: hj (AZ)

And even if one were required, a frostproof model would probably be exempt.

My apologies, I was reading 'ballcock' instead of 'sillcock'. My view on the sillcock question is whether required or not, a conscientious installer will install a service valve with the view that it will be him/herself that will be repairing it in the future and would only be helping themselves by installing it.

Author: packy (MA)

i all my years, i have never installed a sillcock without it having a shutoff.. regardless of whether it is freezeproof or not...

Author: sum (FL)

I have never seen a shutoff valve for a silcock.

If one were to install one for one, where would it be installed? Right next to it?

There was one house I renovated the silcock has no reasonable means to be serviced because it came from a branch of the supply line BEFORE the house shut off valve so the only way to service it was to shut water off at the curb. That branch was quickly cut and capped.

Author: StephenParaski (MI)

All Fixtures and Appurtenances Shall have a valve to control. Yes it is a valve, but it is a Fixture. And it needs a Stop & Waste Valve to drain upstream of Stop & Waste Valve. They are also required at base of risers in multi story applications.

YOu are equating "conscientious installer" with a contractor doing the job for the least cost possible. They do NOT worry about the "next guy".

And I have NOT installed one since coming to AZ.

Author: zincli (SC)

Thank you for all your reply. I think I might need to call the county office to check. I would like to see if it is possible to ask the builder to add the shutoff valves for me for free but I need to know if it is required by building codes or not.

Another question: since I don't have the shutoff valve for the sillcock. How should I prevent them from freezing? I cannot drain the water out and it is really cold (~10 F) in the next few days. Thank you!

Author: packy (MA)

my code say anyone who installs a pipe in an area where it may freeze and it does freeze is responsible for the pipe and any damage it causes.

At this point about all you can do is dribble the faucet to keep it from freezing.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.