Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking bath faucet
Author: cmbaca (NM)

I have lived in my newly constructed house 3 1/2 yrs now and have been having a problem for at least a couple weeks now or that I've really noticed. My bath faucet is leaking alot. I Googled and you tubed how to fix it. I have a moen fixture and got a replacement cartridge because it seemed to be a common problem, but after disassembling the fixture, removing the old cartridge, turning off the water to the house, leaving the bath tub and another faucet open to relieve pressure and waiting a while it still continues leaking rapidly and even more so. Another thing which I don't know if pertains to this issue is that in the first year after moving in, my bathroom sink was leaking quite a bit too, and just last year the same bathroom toilet was running water all the time. I don't know what to do or if their is a deeper problem but it seems really weird all this is happening after only 3 1/2 yrs... Could you give me some advice? Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Re: Leaking bath faucet
Author: steve (CA)

The main valve might be defective and not shutting off 100%. Do you have a hose bib or faucet at a lower elevation than the tub that you can open?

Author: hj (AZ)

They are all individual problems and not related to each other.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

As hj says these problems are not related. tackle one at a time. Start with the bath tub valve by removing the stem and cleaning the inside of the valve with a wire brush. If you have the older moen valve the brush will be a 3/4" copper cleaning brush. If you have the newer Moen Shower valve you must us a different brush. If you can leave the water turned off for 6 hours, I would stuff a paper towel that does not come apart when it is wet, inside the valve and fill the inside of the valve with vinegar. Just cup your hand next to the valve and fill it so that your hand keeps the vinegar in the valve until the paper towel is soaked. Keep the paper towel inside the valve by tapeing it in with wide masking tape. Let is set for 6 hours then rinse it out and replace the cartridge. By not doing this cleaning, you may have ruined the O-Rings that seal the cartridge, so you must replace them. Then continue repairing the other leaks i.e. you toilet or lavatories.Good luck

I'm not finding any that are lower but I left the main water valve off all night and it seems as if it has stopped leaking.

Re: Leaking bath faucet smile

Thank you so much! I appreciate your input and will follow your advice PlumberLoren smiling smiley

Edited 2 times.

Re: Leaking bath faucet smile

Thank you hj smiling smiley

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

If I did that when I replace a Moen stem, I would NEVER get done.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Getting in a hurry can cause call backs...just a thought. It also just occurred to me that your water may not be as hard as the posters. Believe me with all of your experience, I am not questioning your procedures.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.