Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Log In
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pulsing Water
Author: Ktown Raider (NV)

My hot water heater is in my garage. I have a culligan water softener that is on bypass permanently. In the last month I have noticed a pulsing sound as water enters the house from the garage.

1) Happens when the shower(s) are running
2) Happens when a toilet is flushed
3) Happens when the washer is filling

NOTHING has been added or removed from the entire system. Nothing has changed. We live in Las Vegas, NV and have notoriously hard water.

There is a very slight actual pulsing in the water at the shower head. It is more of a "hear" than a "feel". It is not noticed in the sinks or anywhere else but it is heard out in the garage.

I am guessing some type of build-up of sediment in the pipes?

Any ideas?

Edited 1 times.

Post Reply

 Re: Pulsing Water
Author: hj (AZ)

I am guessing you have a pressure reducing valve in the line and it is going bad.

Post Reply

 Re: Pulsing Water
Author: Ktown Raider (NV)

So this wouldn't happen as long as no water is running into the house correct?

Where would I find the PRV and is it something that a handy individual with no plumbing experience could handle?

Post Reply

 Re: Pulsing Water
Author: hj (AZ)

The PRV is "usually" above ground and visible, but in some cases it is buried.

Post Reply

 Re: Pulsing Water
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

These pressure regulators have a rubber diaphragm in the valve that often get cracked or split. You may find a rebuild kit for it if you know the model and make of the valve. If your Big Box or Hardware store do not stock the item you can call the manufacturer and maybe they will sell it to you. Having said this, your local plumber would actually be the best person to look at and fix your problem.

Post Reply

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.