Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 2 separate sewage ejector pumps to 1 discharge pipe
Author: Jethro (VA)

I recently built a new home. The builder installed a rough in for a bathroom with the pipes leading to a sewage pit. I have a hung sewer (basement sits below the street sewage line). In order to finish the bathroom I need to install a sewage ejector pump in the pit. Before I get to the bathroom I would like to install a utility tub. At first, I thought about just adding a hole in the sewage ejector pit lid and have the utility tub drain directly into the sewage pit. However, after doing my research I found that is a no no. So another option was to bust up the basement floor and tap into one of the existing pipes coming from the bathroom into the sewage pit. I really don't want to bust up the basement floor. So I decided to have two separate ejector pumps, 1 for the sewage pit that serves the bathroom and another one to serve the utility tub. Since the utility tub will be next to the ejector pit I want to use the same discharge line. The builder has already plumbed the piping for the ejector pit/pump I just need to tie it all together. I attached a drawing of what my plan is. I'm not a plumber just a guy that likes to do things himself. Will my concept work? Is there a potential code violation? Is there a better option that would not require cutting into the basement floor?

Thanks,

Jethro

Re: 2 separate sewage ejector pumps to 1 discharge pipe
Author: packy (MA)

put seperate wye's in the main for each pump.
do use a studer valve for the small tank. it will not work. tie to the other pump's vent.
the contractor plumbed this and capped the vent. he did not connect it ??

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

I would consider useing a flanged check valve or installing a union just below the checks to enable removing the pump for maintenance i.e. cleaning out the intake that can get blocked from debris that falls into the pits.

its always a good idea to think ahead..
i install no hub couplings which can be loosened or removed for future repairs..

That is correct, the builder puts the pit, the vent and the discharge pipe (capped off) that connects to the main but leaves the owner to install the sewage ejector pump and do the finishing connections. So install another wye one for each pump? Why would using the same discharge pipe not work, eliminating me from cutting into the main to install another wye ?

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Depending on the distances, I would connect the sink to the pit's vent pipe, with a Studor vent near the sink, if the distance is too great.

From what I read I thought you were not suppose to connect any other vents to the sewage pump vent. Connecting the two together would be ideal because the utility tub is right next to the sewage pump/pit.

I would forget about the second pump and use the ejector's vent as a "wet vent" with the sink connected to it.

I agree with the one pump solution and you might also have the electrician install a light switch with a small red light that shows when the power is on to the pump to help diagnose potential problems. If the pump clogs up and heats up it will shut off the visible light to alert you. An audible buzzer would be better than a light.

Edited 1 times.

All that would tell you is that the power has failed, but not WHY it failed.

Re: 2 separate sewage ejector pumps to 1 discharge pipe clap

The wet vent suggestion is great! It would save me about $200 bucks and make for a simpler installation.

Edited 2 times.

My experience with sump Pumps showed that the impeller can get stuck from debris. Checking the impeller for debris requires pulling the pump to check it out. That is my point.

Re: 2 separate sewage ejector pumps to 1 discharge pipe clap

i also notice that the builder left you vent's available for the ejector vent to connect to. that is good..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.