Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New home build plumbing mistake
Author: Perry.james (OK)

Hello! We are in the mid process of having our dream home built. Framing has already been completed, mechanicals are in, roof is on, etc... We designed the master bath tub out of the bath room and had a cabinet designed to be in its place. Before the foundation was poured, we told the builder the master bathroom tub plumbing had been set in the ground and needed to be taken out. Long story short, the foundation was poured and they went along with the original plans and left the bath tub plumbing in. They finally removed the bath tub, but left the pressure lines and drain tubing (it has since been capped by the plumbers). My question is: Is it permissible to have capped pressure lines in or below the foundation and then cover/case it with cement? Just doesn't sound right to me. I have asked the builder to have it re-inspected by the city inspector and provide me with a letter of acceptance. Is there anything else I should do?

Re: New home build plumbing mistake
Author: hj (AZ)

If it was done the normal way, the pipes to the tub originated somewhere else, such as at a lavatory, and if so, they should be capped there. The only reason NOT to do so would be if the lines came to the tub, and then continued elsewhere, but they there would have to be "connections" under the floor and that would NOT be acceptable.

Would you mind if I emailed a couple of photos of the before and after? (Showing what they did?) It might give you a better idea of what I'm facing. I just want to make sure I have a non-biased professional opinion before I start raising the red flag with the builder. Thanks, Jim.

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Upload the pictures to photobucket or tinypic and then post a link back at this thread.

[@#$%&[s1079.photobucket.com]][/URL]

[@#$%&[s1079.photobucket.com]][/URL]

Pics posted

Author: steve (CA)

Don't the pressure lines start out at an accessible manifold? They can be depressurized there. The drain pipe should cause no harm.

Author: m & m (MD)

That appears to be a 10' or more 'home run' from a manifold. As such it represents a 'dead end' and most codes don't allow dead ends that long.

Author: packy (MA)

if it is re-inspected and the inspector say OK.. you are out of luck..

I am not sure what the photo is showing, since there appears to be at least five lines, some with red and blue wires attached to them, but only one circled.

I'm sure they do, that's something I will ask about.

Hj, those are red and blue water lines and a drain. Nothing else.

Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

Would it make sense to cap them above slightly grade and please the cabinet over them in case you ever decide you want a bathtub? Or below grade with an access panel?

In that case, they can be plugged/capped wherever they come from.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

For the safety of your family you should address the dead end and locate where it comes up through the slab and cap it at the tee.

Thanks everyone. :)

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely talk this through with the builder and hopefully get a good resolution out of this. I appreciate all the feedback!

Jim

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks everyone. :)
Author: bernabeu (SC)

You may NOT, repeat NOT leave 'dead ends', especially on potable water.

In the 'olden days' a dead end was defined as 24" or more.

? Do you really want stagnant water from a dead end connected to your faucets ?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638 ~ Measure Twice & Cut Once

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.