Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 605,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 rough-in shower valve body
Author: jayw (KY)

Hi I have a delta 1400 series tub/shower valve. I was unable to get the bonnet nut off to replace the cartridge. I ended up breaking the whole valve body which definitely needs to be replaced. I currently don't know how I will get to it without destroying my one piece tub and surrounding. I can't access it on other side of wall either because another bathroom is on the other side with a one piece tub and surround. Any suggestions?

Re: rough-in shower valve body
Author: pbw (OH)

Moen makes a large trim piece to cover a 3 handle tub-shower faucet. after reading all instructions, carefully cut the tub wall, after shutting the water off, cut out the old valve out & replace with new. hole should be more than large enough to work in. only drop your mini cutter once or twice where it can't be retrieved.(I used a magnet to retrieve mine)
suggest this to your plumber if you can't do the job.

Author: m & m (MD)

How did you manage to do that? If the nut is grasped too tightly with pliers you may have distorted it but that shouldn't have ruined it at that point.

I was trying to loosing it up with tapping on the wrench with a hammer then applying a little force. I felt it move which was part of the body. I stopped b/c I didn't want to break anything but I already did. I found out when I turned water back on. The part of the body that was comprimised looks like cartridge holder and the valve. 3 brass pieces (if that make any sense.) The valve is still attached inside the wall with water lines running to it.

Author: m & m (MD)

Got it. That's not the 1400- it's pretty hard to mess it up. You have the old style Delta and it's pretty easy to mess it up. At this point, replacement is next in order. With no access, you'll have to replace it from the front using a remodel plate.

Author: hj (AZ)

You obviously have NEVER seen an older Delta shower/tub valve. It is VERY easy to destroy the valve by twisting off the three small tubes that join the two sections. A good plumber can repair it, but very few try to do it.

Thank you all for all your help. :)

Thank you all for all your help. I did end up cutting a bigger hole, replacing the unit, and using a remodel plate to cover it.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.