Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Brass or dielectric nipple for copper connection
Author: Stop23 (WI)

I just replaced my 6 yr old water heater which sprung a leak at the top weld (a topic for a different post). The water heater has side ports and is used to source indirect closed loop heating for a radiant slab. The potable water for the house is CPVC, so no dielectric concerns there. However the piping to the heat exchanger is copper to support the circulating pump. The heater has been in use for 6 years, but the heat system was added only 3 years ago. The heat system is connected to the tank through a standard (non-dielectric) galvanized nipple at the tank to a dielectric union to copper. After just three years the galvanized nipple is 50% blocked.

I've done a bunch of reading, and can't quite nail down an answer.
> Should I be using a plastic lined nipple to keep the waterway open?
> Would a brass nipple be better, or would that just cause a problem at the tank connection?

Thanks

Re: Brass or dielectric nipple for copper connection
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd use brass.

Author: steve (CA)

Brass for me too.

Author: packy (MA)

a galvanized steel nipple in a domestic water system is going to rust no matter what it is connected to.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the leak was at a top connection and the copper is connected to the side, there should be no correlation between the two.

Author: Stop23 (WI)

The leak was most likely a flaw in the tank weld. I know it's not related to the copper connection. But since it's all taken apart and installing a brand new tank, I thought I would use something that will stay open longer than a few years. Sounds like brass is the way to go but wasn't sure about attaching a brass nipple directly to the steel tank. It's probably a better option though since it's hard to find dielectric nipples long enough to reach the port. I think I needed a 5" nipple to have enough to get a wrench on to tighten...which is why the regular galvanized ran to the dielectric Union. A 6" brass nipple shouldn't be hard to find.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.