Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewer smell
Author: jprice96 (NC)

We have a three story house. On the third floor, imagine an open sitting area in the middle with two attic spaces on the right and left sides of the house, both of which have a nice exterior style door. In the attic spaces, the walls are covered with peg-board and the floors plywood. We have a faint smell on the second floor in a Jack and Jill bath and a strong odor in one of the attic spaces. Note the smell in the attic is not the attic that has the vent pipe through the roof. I have searched very diligently and there are no plumbing vents on that side attic. There is no smell at all from the other side attic, which contains the vent through the roof. There is no smell on the first floor. The wax ring was replaced in the Jack and Jill bath and it was not installed properly when the tile was installed back when the house was built. I though this would fix the problem. I was wrong. All sinks in the house have studor vents but their is no smell emitting from within the cabinetry so I have ruled them out. The bathroom is used daily by my two sons so the traps should not be dry. The only thing in the attic space where the smell is so strong is the heat unit. There is a drain line on it, but I am not sure exactly where it is piped to yet. The smell is very strong on one side of the room which is the opposite side of the heat unit. I have tried to be thorough in my explanation and hope someone knows what else I can check. I did smoke test the system and found no leaks. Could be in a wall, but I would have though I would find some smoke somewhere if that where the case.

Re: Sewer smell
Author: packy (MA)

it is possible that the drain for the heat unit goes into its own trap and that may be dry ??
dump some water down the heat unit drain to see if that does anything to help ?

You are a genius. I had not considered that. I will try that this evening.

So the drain for goes out of the house and does not tie into the plumbing at all. The smell is horrible today in the attic. I am to the point of pulling the plywood flooring up to see if there is some type of plumbing hidden there. I really don't think there is, but I am out of other ideas.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Long shot: The smell started "faint," and is rapidly getting worse. Could it be a dead animal in that side of the attic? If the smell slowly fades over the next few days, then eventually disappears, that would be consistent with a dead animal. If you see any flies soon, that's a dead give away. But no flies does not mean no dead animal.

Dead rodents can occur within wall cavities and under floors. Search the entire perimeter of the stinky side where the floor and ceiling meet the walls, looking for gaps a rodent could enter. 1/4" is enough for a mouse, 1/2" is enough for a rat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. thumbs

I found the problem. There was a pipe in the wall behind the shower that was wide open. I put a studor vent on it today. Evidently the sheetrock guys came in before the plumber finished everything and covered it up. Fortunately there is a closet behind the shower and I was able to locate the pipe, put the vent on, and put a vent cover over it so it can get the proper amount of airflow. The reason the smell was so bad in the attic is because their was no sheetrock or plywood covering the hole from the topside. This was just venting into the attic. It was in a tight spot over toward the edge of the roof-line and it was stupid luck that I pulled the insulation away in the right area and found the area with the help of a light and a mirror ( it was really a tight spot). Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.