Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New Toilet - Out of Spec?
Author: beno (TX)

Hey guys,

I bought a new Toto Drake II toilet that I have not installed yet. When I unboxed it and set it on my office floor, I noticed it does not sit level (L to R). It does not rock, so the bottom of the base is all in the same plane. But one side's about 1/4" higher than the other. I realize I can shim this so it sits level, but I'm putting this in my own bathroom and don't want to look at the big caulk bead for the rest of my life. I haven't even put the tile floor in yet, but I'll be sure it's level.

I realize that porcelain items are all slightly unique. But I'd prefer to exchange this toilet for one that sits closer to level. Is that a reasonable request to make of the seller?

Thanks much!

The bullet level bubble's hard to see, but it's totally off to the right.

Edited 3 times.

Re: New Toilet - Out of Spec?
Author: hj (AZ)

1/4" out of level and you are stressing about it?

Author: NoHub (MA)

Don't think I ever put a level on a toilet,not much you can do if the floor's off.

I’m rebuilding my own bathroom from the floor joists up. If I was a pro plumber putting in fixtures for a demanding client, I believe I would think twice before installing a slightly deformed toilet that would require shimming and a thick caulk joint on one side to prevent the tank from obviously being out of plumb. Reasonable? I don't know.

I appreciate advice from you pros. That’s why I asked.

Thanks for your help

Author: packy (MA)

i would return it..
if you do decide to use it...
shim the bottom about 1/8 inch on the bad side. caulk the whole bottom with clear silicone and wipe up with denatured alcohol before it sets.. (caulk whether different bowl or not)
install the tank making one side SLIGHTLY tighter than the other. (tilting it just a tiny bit)
then put a couple of pieces of foam rubber between the tank top and the lid.
believe me, no one will ever see nor know the difference. (except you and me)..

Author: bernabeu (SC)

IMO:

full bubble off = defective

1/2 bubble would be my personal max

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks for all the responses! smiling smiley

Thanks for all the responses! I'll see if I can get 'em to swap it out.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for all the responses! smiling smiley
Author: hj (AZ)

And hope the new one is NOT worse than the one you now have.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.