Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 605,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Well pump
Author: Dan Dillon (TX)

Hello, I have a 3/4 hp shallow well jet pump that is new, It's main function is to pump from an above ground rain water storage tank to my house. The new pump has a pressure cut on and off at 30-50 psi.

When I primed the pump and turned it on it worked great until it got to 50 psi cut off. from there it would cycle on/off 2 or 3 times a second and not stop till power is off. It does this until I draw the pressure down to about 13 psi and then turn power back on. The pump will turn back on and run great and pressurize the house normally until it gets to the 50 psi cut off pressure. From that point it starts cycling again.

I have a bladder tank that I completely drained of water and filled with 27 psi air pressure thinking that this might be the problem. I'm sure the bladder tank is good. and I think I charged it correctly.(The tire gauge is accurate)
Anytime I have pump or water problems over the years I always have this condition. It eventually goes away and I don't know why.
A winter freeze spit my pipe and caused pump to burn up last week, that's why I was working on it.
Before this everything worked great for about 3 years.
ANY suggestions would be muck appreciated
Thank you

Re: Well pump
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I think the problem can be traced to a check valve . The water pressure is bouncing back and forth, tripping the pressure switch. Where do you have the pressure switch located ? In relation to the check valve ? And where is the tank tee'ed in , in relation to the switch and check valve ?
The check valve should be first, at the inlet to the pump, then the switch can be on the pump or at the tank tee on the pressure side of the pump.

Author: m & m (MD)

Any way you can put up a photo of your set-up?

Author: Dan Dillon (TX)

Thank you both for the responses. The check valve could indeed be the problem, as it is not plumbed as you recommend. I will put one in and if that dose not work I will return with pictures. Thanks again

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.