Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washing machine drain overflows if toilet is running
Author: mg5487 (MD)

Hey everyone, hopefully someone can help me out here. Sometimes when I flush the toilet, the metal chain gets hung up and the toilet continuously runs. If the toilet is continuously running when the washing machine is draining, the drain pipe for the washing machine will overflow. Any idea why it does this?

The washing machine is in the basement and have I believe a 2 inch drain pipe that goes directly into the main drain line and out to the septic. The basement toilet drains into a pump which is connected to the main drain line. This happens if either the basement or upstairs toilet is running.

Clogged drain, inadequate venting on the washing machine drain?

This only occurs if the toilet is runnning. The washing machine drains fine any other time.

Re: Washing machine drain overflows if toilet is running
Author: packy (MA)

partially clogged main drain.
inside or outside ????

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Downstream from the washing machine. If you have a cleanout at the washing machine, go thru there with a snake.

If it was a clog wouldn't it overflow all the time though? It only overflows if the toilet is filling at the same time the washer is draining. Unless it's just a coincidence that the two times it has happened the toilet was running. The washer drains into a 2 inch pipe that runs across the basement and right into the septic pipe. The toilets run on a separate pipe also going to the septic.

If it were too much water with both running at the same time then wouldn't showering or using the sink or anything also effect it?

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

your reasoning is valid so the only way to tell for sure is by on site testing..
sounds like it's time to pull the cover on the septic tank and have a look..

Thanks for all the replies :grin:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll pull the septic cover tonight. It probably needs to be cleaned, I've been in the house for 2 years and who knows the last time it was cleaned before me moving in.

Edited 1 times.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

MG I do not know your situation but a Septic Tank is a Major item that should always be at the top of the list of items being checked prior to the close of a sale of a home.

It was inspected prior to the purchase and was in good condition, I meant that I haven't had it siphoned clean since the purchase of the home

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.