Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Air Bubble When Toilet Flushes
Author: tosh9i (WA)

We have three toilets and this only applies to one of them. Whenever we flush the toilet, an air bubble through the jet hole (part G of the picture I added below) comes up.

A little background on it. Several weeks ago, it was clogged and had trouble flushing all the way. There was no air bubble back then. I basically used vinegar and baking soda with hot water and soap several times to clear the blockage. It worked, however, that's when the air bubble began to appear. Since it happened right after the blockage was cleared, I don't think the rooftop vent has anything to do with it.

I did more research and read about the vents that are underneath the toilet seat, in picture 2 below. I tried spraying some Lysol on them, waited 10 mins, used a sponge to clean it. I think it helped a little bit, but not much. It's possible that I have to get deeper in there. So, my question is, what's the best way to clear those vents? Or if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

1)
[i675.photobucket.com]

2)
[i675.photobucket.com]

Re: Air Bubble When Toilet Flushes
Author: packy (MA)

do not use hot water on or in the toilet.
porcelain doen't expand from heat it cracks..
anyway, get some CLR or something similar that disolves calcium build-up.
poura decent amount down the overflow tube inside the tank.
watch that it comes out all the little holes. let it set for a few hours and do it again.
after another couple of hours, get a wire coathanger and start poking around the holes.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd say that there is still a partially blockage downstream of the toilet trap and the bubble you see is air being forced back up thru the trap, rather than going down the pipe.

Any specific brand of that Calcium Lime Rust Remover you recommend?

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

[www.walmart.com]

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

CLR it stands for Calcium, Lime and I forget what the R stands for. But that is the Product Name: CLR

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

R = rust.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks, I'll go pick it up on Saturday and let you know what happens.

Author: hi (TX)

Some people place some material to block the acid (CLR) from escaping the rim holes of the stool. Otherwise the acid just runs right out and doesn't accomplish much. For example clay or masking tape to let the acid sit awhile within the rim holes. I personally haven't had a lot of success with chemicals (there is a fair amount of foam action when it reacts with calcium) and think mechanical or "kinetic" energy in the form of a wire or guitar pick to scrape the calcium out of the rim holesworks the best.
I do not think the bubble is coming from the rim holes but is coming from the siphon of the toilet somehow. Possibly there is still some partial blockage. Try the "bucket test" to see how it drains compared to other toilets. Sometimes plumbers remove the stool to see if there is a partial or intermittent blockage at the horn of the stool base where it connects to the flange on the floor. I had a case a couple of months ago where I found a Chik-fil-a chicken breast somewhat floating at the horn of a toto drake which was this way for a week or so causing partial clog.

Ok, got the CLR, so could someone please provide me with step by step instructions. I haven't proceeded because I'm not sure how much I should use and if I should mix it with 50% water and 50% CLR.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.