Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot water only to showerhead, but not tub faucet. (Tankless heater)
Author: rmaynard (AZ)

Beginning today, our shower only produces hot water from the shower head, but not the tub faucet. We have an EcoSmart tankless water heater, which is only 4 months old. Our plumbing has also been completely redone to have all pex, and the hardware for the shower/tub is also only 4 months old. When we switch back and forth from shower to tub, the problem is obvious as it triggers hot water (showerhead) to lukewarm water (tub faucet). As far as the water pressure, that cannot be gauged using the water lever, as it is one long handle that rotates, as opposed to two separate handles for hot/cold. The water from the tub faucet is likely lukewarm simply b/c we live in Tucson, not b/c it's being heated (just my guess). In the 4 months we've had this new setup, we've never had this issue before! Lastly, we have a small house and this is the only shower (total = 2 sinks, 1 shower in house, no dishwasher, etc.), and the heater is rated to cover this with ease.

I'm thinking that it could be a heating element that's bad, but seems odd considering it's relatively new. Any input as to what the issue is, and how to approach it would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Re: Hot water only to showerhead, but not tub faucet. (Tankless heater)
Author: packy (MA)

what you describe tells me the heater can not keep up.
turn on the shower that you say gets nice and hot then turn on hot to both sinks at the same time.
what happens?

Author: hj (AZ)

I am not familiar with Ecosmart, but many electric heaters have multiple elements and each may have its own high limit cutout switch. If so, then one or more may have tripped lessening the capacity of the heater.

Thanks for you input guys! :applause:

Packy,

If both sinks are turned on, it does have trouble keeping the water hot in both sinks (just lukewarm). Individually (one at a time) they are hot. I guess the question is, what might have happened to suddenly cause this, as it wasn't a problem before? And to be fair, my guess is that our water usage in general is below average.

HJ,

If one has tripped and you think that is our issue, what must be done to resolve the problem?

Thanks for you input guys!

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

1. Find out why it tripped and correct it
2. Check the elments if you have more than one to be sure they are all working.

if you were up here in new england i would tell you the incoming water temperature has cooled down this time of year so as to affect the rated temperature rise of the water heater.
so question ... could this be a factor?

Packy,

Haha, I don't think so! Well, at least I don't think enough to affect the temperature of the water table here enough to make a difference in this regard. It can get cold at night, but most days are still pretty warm and the incoming water unheated is not too different in temp (a little, but not a lot).

where i am, cape ann, the incoming water can get down to about 40-41 deg in the dead of winter. try raising that to 125 to wash dishes.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.