Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Log In
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Quick Question
Author: mcameron2479 (MA)

I believe I know the answer but I in no way a plumber so I figured I would through it out there to people that know what they are talking about. I am in the process of setting a fish tank and as part of that I will be setting up an RODI system in order to make "clean" water of the the tank. At the point where the hot & cold water lines go vertical to my kitchen and bathrooms each pipe has a hose bib/boiler drain valve. I am assuming that they are there for the purpose of draining the pipes throughout the house in the event it will be left unheated in the winter. Would there be an issue if I used the valve on the cold water line to my kitchen to connect the RODI system. Being a low draw system, my thought process would be that the additional demand on the water supply shouldn't adversely effect the pressure to the kitchen would it? Thanks all.

Post Reply

 Re: Quick Question
Author: steve (CA)

There won't be a volume/pressure problem, unless you have other piping issues in the house(rusted up galvanized pipes).

Post Reply

 Re: Quick Question
Author: packy (MA)

you will need some sort of backflow protection if the outlet hose is submersed in fish water..

Post Reply

 Re: Quick Question
Author: mcameron2479 (MA)

Thanks to both of you. That was exactly what I was thinking as well. Plan to add a check valve in the new line before the filter canisters. Thanks again.

Post Reply

 Re: Quick Question
Author: bernabeu (SC)

a check valve is NOT sufficient nor code compliant

you will need a RPZ backflow prevention valve assembly installed by a licensed plumber


= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638 ~ Measure Twice & Cut Once

Post Reply

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.