Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 605,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 can I slow down flow on a utility pump with a lamp dimmer rehostat ?
Author: cvcman (NY)

I have a utility pump that pumps way to may gph than I want,,,can I use a dimmer/rheostat to slow down the motor ? Will this damage anything ?
I dont want it cycling so often...or should I use a ball valve to reduce outflow

Re: can I slow down flow on a utility pump with a lamp dimmer rehostat ?
Author: steve (CA)

Use the valve and throttle the output.

Author: george 7941

If the electric motor on the pump has brushes then it can be slowed down with a rheostat but if it has an induction motor, which all but the small utility pumps do, then it cannot be slowed down.

This is a small Utilitec Lowes auto utility pump....woudnt restricting the outflow cause back pressure

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

[www.youtube.com]

Author: steve (CA)

Yes and that's what's needed. It's adding to the head pressure. The output volume will decrease with the increase of head pressure.

seems like that would make the pump work too hard and wear it out quick...this is an auto on pump..it comes on at 1-1/2" water....sometimes it comes on but sounds like its just spinning and it has to get up to 3" of water to start pumping...almost like an air lock...the ant air lock hole is clear

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Have you considered increasing the float stroke from 8 inches to 30 inchs with a float accessory.

Best Wishes

????this is an auto switch NO float...comes on at 1-1/2".....its in a basement shower sump set up

Author: packy (MA)

is there a 3/16 hole drilled in the discharge below the check valve?

Author: hj (AZ)

Restricting the OUTLET, does create backpressure, but pumps can handle that. They CANNOT handle reduced input if you put a valve on the inlet and try to reduce the flow that way.

Packy,,,,,yes there is....I even increased the size a slight bit,,,it may have helped a little,,,,I called the tech line for WaterSource as they make the pump...he said its kinda normal,,,its air....I tried putting another hole a little above it but it sprays water spray all over,,,so I plugged that one...
Guess its the nature of the beast,,,????
Any other ideas

Author: packy (MA)

drill the hole at 45 deg facing downward. it will spray but the spray will be directed so as not to do any splashing.

I may put a small elbow..90 in the hole,,,does it matter the hole is under water ??? Its out of the water when it pumps down but gets covered

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.