Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bad smell from inactive washing machine drain pipe
Author: Gary Wedge (CA)

About five years ago we moved our washer and dryer from a downstairs laundry room to an upstairs location as part of a major remodel. The downstairs water bibs and drain pipe were left intact, but have not been used since the washer and dryer were moved. A few weeks ago we noticed a foul, mildew and rotten egg smell coming from the downstairs drain pipe. It went away the same day, but returned today, (again getting better after a few hours). I thought perhaps the smell happened because water in the "P" trap evaporated, but the water would have evaporated long ago, (nothing has drained into the pipe for the last five years). Any ideas where the smell is coming from, why it took nearly five years to happen, and why it occurs only occasionally? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Bad smell from inactive washing machine drain pipe
Author: steve (CA)

Add water and a little vegetable oil to the trap. The smell can come and go depending on air pressure changes.

Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

I wonder if it could stink on and off and you just didn't catch it. And now you are looking for it.

I was just helping my buddy tile his basement bath floor so we had the toilet pulled out. It didn't stink the first couple days when we were working on the room (we plugged it when not working).

I even remarked , hey the toilet pipe doesn't smell bad.

Then his wife did laundry while we were in the room with the pipe unplugged. Peeeee-yew! I think the hot water getting pumped in the pipe enhanced the bouquet.

I'm not a pro. Maybe the pros have a different idea.

Author: packy (MA)

wind direction and wind speed factor in sometimes..

Author: sum (FL)

Also people tend to walk into plumbing "work in progress" areas to let gas out so no one would suspect it.

Good info, thank you for your reply applause
Author: Gary Wedge (CA)

Good info, thank you for your reply. Is it bad for the system to simply cap the unused drain pipe?

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.