Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot water recirculating pump question
Author: al5920 (CA)

Old motor on water heater (2002) is going out. Got the watts hot water recirculating system. My question is do I have to install the sensor valve kit with it? I believe my house (2002) was plumed with some type of quick hot water supply. In other words I always got immediate hot water even at the furthest line. However, with the pump going out I notice it takes much longer for the water in the master bath shower to get hot.

Thanks,

Andy

Re: Hot water recirculating pump question
Author: Paul48 (CT)

If your house was plumbed with a dedicated return line, you don't want or need that system.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Replace the pump with a new one.

The old pump was welded into the coper piping and they don't make a replacement I am aware for it. Are you saying just replacing the pump with the new watts pump should do the trick without the sensor valve installation? The new pump monts on top of the water heater to the water heater discharge

Author: packy (MA)

the pump doesn't go on the hot water outlet of the water heater. it goes into a pipe attached to the bottom drain valve of the heater. the pump has a temperature sensor so when it senses warm water coming back to it, it shuts off. this way it is not pumping needlessly..
pay someone to do this correctly. you will save on your hot water costs over the years..
so, bottom line... get a pump that has a built in temperature sensor and a built in timer. the timer can be set so it won't work in the middle of the night. (another money saver).
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: Curly (CA)

The Watts pump kit you have is not the correct one. It is not for use with a dedicated return line - which is what it SOUNDS like you have.

Packy's suggested pump is the correct pump for a dedicated return line.

Best to post a picture of your current set up.

Thank u I am on the same sheet of music now. I found a replacement pump at a specialty plumbing store. I should be able to bolt the new motor housing into the existing sweat

Thanks all. thumbs

Thanks all. Got the new taco recirculator bolted on to the existing sweat. All is right with the world again

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.