Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Venting shower
Author: Hillegas (WV)

I posted yesterday about a double sink vanity sharing drain/vent lines.

Today in the same bathroom I plumbed in the shower.

The 2" going up the wall will be my vent for this shower. The questions begin here..... directly under the center of this shower was a tji beam...... I know by cutting it I took out its strength but I was told to do so and that isnt of concern at the moment. So the pics below are how I went around the beam.

I was told at my last job that was inspected that he didn't care if I used a sanitary tee horizontally if it was being used for a dry vent. Others have told me to never use a sani-tee in this position. Because I didn't have a 2" wye and this isn't being inspected I used the sani-tee for the vent. I can't help but feel someone would have a problem with the 90* bends in the shower drain? I also couldn't come up with a decent clean out plug location so I didn't use one.

Here in the rest of it. The 2" from this shower dumps into a 3" with a wye. The other 3" piping with 2 45* bends is a toilet. The toilet is using the 2" vent from the shower.

This pic doesn't show it yet, but the 3" main line will have 2 more wye connections. One 1-1/2" line from bathroom sink from my post yesterday with its own 1-1/2" dry vent. And a 2" line coming from a sink on the other side of the wall that has its own 2" dry vent as well.

Some of these vents are 4/5/6ft from the toilet. I'm thinking there is more then adequate venting on this 3" line.

Functionality I feel the system will work. But once again guys have at my work and tell me what I did wrong!

Not trying there over post, but I hope others learn as well from my mistakes.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Venting shower
Author: NoHub (MA)

Ouch....that I-Beam!

I know! But I was told for looks the drain had to go dead center of 40"x60" tile shower. Dumb luck just happen to be a tji smack center. Builder said cut the beam, and they would brace it or put in a column etc...

So unfortunately I drilled it, but I tried to keep it as tight as possible

Author: packy (MA)

you must have a real easy plumbing inspector if he passes that.
the shower drain should run close and parallel to the block wall. the san tee could be 4 feet back and could be rolled at a 45 with a short piece of pipe with a 45 on it to bring the vent to vertical. then come out of the end of the san tee with a 45 looking at the shower trap. all 90's should be long sweep.
you also need a cleanout where the 2 inch ties into the 3 inch.
don't be insulted but i would not pass that job..

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'm convinced that your inspector either doesn't know the code or doesn't try to enforce it.

Well in this application there is no inspection. This county has no permits, no codes, no inspections...... the last job I posted a couple weeks ago was in a county that does inspections. That job was inspected, I went over the whole system and brought up concerns that were raised here and he was OK with everything.

I'm not offended by any remarks, I encourage them.

Eventually my violations will stick in and I get better each time. In this case I really messed up a few things. But I am learning. I've always done my own plumbing and considered myself to be pretty good.

I realize I am an amateur and have a long way to go to remember all the codes.

Can anyone recommend an illustrated book on codes and all this?

Things I need to learn from this:

Use long sweep 90* on everything except venting.
Sani-tees can be rolled on 45* just not facing straight up when horizontal
Seems using 45* bends in place of 90* bends is preferred?

I will add clean outs. Might make a couple changes as well

Edited 2 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Just make sure that somebody reinforces that joist before you move on.

Yep! I raised the structural issue with the builder and suggested changing the dimensions of the shower to move the drain, or just move the drain itself. I was told to drill the beam and he would brace it with whatever it needed.

Author: steve (CA)

"Use long sweep 90* on everything except venting."
- Vertical to horizontal drain- use long turn. Horizontal to vertical drain can be standard or long turn.

"Sani-tees can be rolled on 45* just not facing straight up when horizontal."
- Unless inspector or jurisdiction states otherwise, sanitary tees can be installed on their back pointing up or rolled at no more than 45* for a dry vent takeoff.

"Seems using 45* bends in place of 90* bends is preferred?"
- 2 45* bends provide a smoother transition than a standard 90*(just like a long turn 90* does).

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

In my area if the inspector saw that joist he would require a structional engineer sign off on it. Basically a piece of 3/4" plywood would need to be glued and screwed along the joist. They make offset shower drains, that might have helped. In any event I would have made the vertical offset using 2 45 bends, a horizontal offset before the trap is a no-no here.

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless it is a preformed base with a fixed drain location, there was absolutely no reason that the drain HAD to go there and compromise the Joist.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.