Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilets (3) constantly clog
Author: Frustratedmom (DE)

Somebody please give me advice bcz I'm about to rip my hair out! I've been in my home for 13 years and I am the original owner. My house is built on a concrete slab with the main sewer cap located on the garage floor and I have no trees on the property that would cause root growth. I have a powder room on the first floor and two bathrooms on the second floor ALL OF WHICH ARE CURRENTLY CLOGGED! I'm no stranger to a plunger, snake or auger. I have daughters and yes, I've fished out a few tampons over the years. I purposely buy one ply toilet paper to avoid this issue but it's gotten to the point where it's beyond ridiculous! My daughter and grandson live with me and up until almost a year ago so did my grandsons father until I found out he was shooting up heroin. I know a whole mess of flags just went up! My gut is telling me that he flushed the needles which has caused the never ending clogs. Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to go about popping the cap off of the main sewer line in the garage to see if that's where the problem is. I've spent hours on google and YouTube with no luck. Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Frustratedmom

Re: Toilets (3) constantly clog
Author: steve (CA)

If it's a threaded cap, there should be a means to connect a wrench to the cap, either a recessed area or a raised head. Is the cap exposed or under a cover?

Author: m & m (MD)

Two clogged toilets on the second floor do not point to a clogged main, but rather clogged toilets alone. Have you tried the auger this time around?

It has a backwater access sleeve which I won't attempt to mess with until I think I know what I'm doing

Frustratedmom

Yes. And just an FYI I just replaced the downstairs toilet and one of the upstairs toilets. Not sure if that helps. Also, the downstairs toilet clogs more often then the upstairs

Frustratedmom

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

the pipes should have been checked while the old toilets were removed and everything was open..
pull an upstairs toilet and dump some water into the open pipe. see what happens

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Speculation seldom does anything... have you considered having the lines scoped with a sewer camera? This way you can determine to exact answer to all your questions.
I wish for you the best...

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless you have a VERY unusual situation, the only way the upstairs toilets can plug and overflow is if the blockage is in the toilet itself, and has nothing to do with the piping or downstairs toilet getting clogged.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

There are some folks who pass extra large feces and this could be the problem. Does everyone in the home use all of the toilets. I agree that a closet auger should be tried first. Water closet augers need to be modified for best results. The spring head needs to be straightened out just a bit to facilitate grabbing the culprit, but be careful when using the auger and turn clockwise attempting to grab whatever is causing the stoppage. If it get hung up, reverse the turn of the auger so as not to crack the bowl if it slips off of what it has grabbed. Hope that make sense. The scope would be the last option because of the expense.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.