Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need assistance identifying parts needed, please.
Author: Monty (KY)

Hey, everyone!

I'm a novice with plumbing, but I'm on a tight budget, so I'm doing everything in my power to get this done myself. Bear with my lack of terminology, please!

I purchased my first home a couple of weeks ago. We agreed we'd replace the bathtub because it was pretty old.

I turned off the water at the street (city water). We removed the old tub, and removed the old trim (?). I left the cartridge (?) in the valve (?), and planned on just replacing the trim (?) once I put up new walls and surrounds.

The water company came and turned the water on at the street, I'm guessing because we had switched it into our name. Thankfully, we were home when this happened (painting one of the bedrooms), so the wife ran out to tell him to turn it off, and I did my best to divert the flow of water by hand, to not damage the drywall.

When this happened, the cartridge (?) shot out of the valve (?) and I simply cannot find it. I still have the dome nut (I've confirmed this term by using Google), but no other parts of the assembly (?).

I have an album on Imgur, showing the valve (?) opening. The approx. diameter of the opening is 2". You'll notice that there is nothing inside of the valve.

The trim is branded as Delta. We have bought a couple different full shower/tub faucet replacement kits, but the cartridges in them are too large to fit into the current valve opening. I don't have the ability to replace the valve, so I'm looking for a set that will work with the current valve that i have

Your help is incredibly appreciated.

Here's a link to the Imgur album: [imgur.com]

Thank you so much.

Re: Need assistance identifying parts needed, please.
Author: Curly (CA)

You really should replace the entire valve body etc., especially while the wall is open.

The existing valve is not pressure balancing (current code) and has a bad design flaw that might bite you in the a** down the road when you have to repair it again. The flaw is that this Delta uses 3 copper tubes(weak link) to join the body with the 1/2" copper piping connections to the piece that the cap was screwed onto. When you go to unscrew the cap and it won't come off, it is possible that the copper tubes will twist, start leaking and then you have to replace the valve with your finished wall material installed. Lot easier to do it now.

If the cap blew off when the water was turned on, that indicates that their may already be something wrong with the valve. If cap( RP50 & seal RP61 or RP188) is properly installed with Delta ball (rp70 or rp212) and springs & seals (rp4993) it should not have blown off when water was turned on. [www.plumbingsupply.com]

Good luck.

Author: packy (MA)

i agree..
BTW, is that just regular sheetrock and not moisture resistant? not a good idea at all.
also the copper tube sticking out of the wall needs to be firmly attached or you will have problems in the future.

Author: Monty (KY)

I have since replaced the drywall with moisture resistant stuff. It looks like a complete amateur did this job (haha), but I'm trying to learn as I go. There is nothing to secure the valve to inside the wall. What does that accomplish?

Thanks for the replies so far!

Author: packy (MA)

then you have to add something to secure the pipe to.
it should have a fitting with ears on it to be perfect.

if you don't secure the spout pipe well, it can come away from the wall a fraction of an inch, water will get behind and you will have problems..

Author: marlinman (FL)

Delta makes a complete renovation kit that comes with everything you need to update your valve without replacing it. Delta's part # RP54870 and is available in Chrome, Stainless, And Oil Rubbed Bronze. Best of luck!

[www.deltafaucet.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.