Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hanging Pex from Exisiting Plumbing
Author: coachbean (CA)

I am researching re-piping my house with pex. I currently have a mix of galvanized and copper. The plumbing will be installed in a crawl space where freezing is not an issue. I know they make hangers for securing pex to the joists but given the lack of space, driving nails or screws may be difficult. I am wondering if I could just run the pex up next to the existing plumbing and secure it with zip ties. Can anyone think of a reason this would be a bad idea other than its just not the way things are done?

Re: Hanging Pex from Exisiting Plumbing
Author: m & m (MD)

Nothing wrong at all with your method.

Author: NoHub (MA)

I don't know an inspector that would let that fly around here....in Massachusetts you cant hang pipes from pipes.

Author: packy (MA)

what in the world is difficult about using tube talons? they snap onto the pipe so they will not fall off when you tap on the pre-loaded nail.

Author: packy (MA)

in the old days when 1/2 inch copper ran over or under copper DWV, we would just solder the water pipe to the drain. ahhh, good old 50/50..

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Here in NC the pex must be supported every 32". As long as you zip tie it within that distance it'll be fine, but it'll look sloppy and unprofessional.

Thanks to all for the replies smileys with beer
Author: coachbean (CA)

Thanks to all for the replies. I think I will use tube talons when possible but maybe zip tie the pex to the existing pipes for a rough layout.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.