Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 replace the copper pipe under the slab with copper pipe above the slab and run through the drywall stud
Author: formosa-tw-rblim (CA)

Hi,
My 32 years old house has the copper pipe pinhole leak under the slab and I am debating either to jack-hammer open the slab to fix the copper pin hole or to reroute the copper pipe, between two manifolds in between where the pin-hole leak reside, by running the copper pipe through the drywall stud. Any comments?
About running the copper pipe through the stud,how to run the rigid copper(3/4" Type L) copper pipe through the stud hole( boring the hole in the center of the stud, instead of notching the edge of the stud) in the tight and close space?
Also any thoughts on the pro-press fitting?

Edited 1 times.

Re: replace the copper pipe under the slab with copper pipe above the slab and run through the drywall stud
Author: packy (MA)

depending on the wall layout. sometimes you can drill all the holes you need plus a few extra to get you to the end of the wall. then you can slide a length of straight pipe in from the end all the way thru.
as for pro press, they work well but the tool is very expensive.

Re: replace the copper pipe under the slab with copper pipe above the slab and run through the drywall stud
Author: pbw (OH)

I have pushed pex tubing through the old copper. pex can be purchased for either 3/4 or 1/2 inch. if you have 1/2 in copper under the slab, use 3/8 plastic. hopefully there are no kinks or soldered fittings under the floor. by using compression fittings the tubing can be reconnected at either end. problem solved. no jackhammering
or opening up walls.
Hint; cut an angle at the end of tubing, it will glide easier

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the suggestion as to how to run the copper through the stud.Yes, if possible, I will run the straight pipe from the other end of wall.
For the copper pipe and copper fitting , any suggestion on the type L or type K?
Also any advice on the selection of the brand of solder(Oatey NO. 5 LEAD FREE PASTE?), flux(Oatey Silver Lead Free and Safe-Flo® Solder), and solder torch(propane fueled or gas fueled)?

I has some concerns about the o-ring used in the pro-press, does it last long?
Also any advice as to the detection of the manifolds?

>I have pushed pex tubing through the old copper. pex can be purchased for either 3/4 or 1/2 inch. if you have 1/2 in >copper under the slab, use 3/8 plastic. hopefully there are no kinks or soldered fittings under the floor. by using >compression fittings the tubing can be reconnected at either end. problem solved. no jackhammering
>or opening up walls.
>Hint; cut an angle at the end of tubing, it will glide easier

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes. If possible, I will try to avoid the jack-hammering and wall opening. As to pushing the pex tubing through the old copper, will the water pressure be good enough to feed the rest of the branch lines when it drop from 3/4 to 1/2 for the main?
Also is PEX absolutely better than copper? I heard that the nature of copper pipe help kill the bacteria in the water if it occur.
Is it possible that the sodium in the salt for the water softner might damage the copper pipe?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.