Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Another Cast Iron Connection Question
Author: BobbyMo (NY)

Hello all,

I am replacing & slightly moving a wall-hung sink in this half bath. The drain layout will be nearly identical to the existing piping with slight changes in lengths. White gunk on brass ferrule is just fallen plaster.

The question at hand is how to tie new PVC into this cast tee. It doesn't seem to have the kind of bell I would expect to use a fernco donut on. A hubless coupling on the ferrule would be a poor attempt at cheating. Cutting & collapsing the brass ferrule to use the existing "threads" for a PVC adapter seems too good to be true.

Thank you for any input.

[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]

Re: Another Cast Iron Connection Question
Author: hj (AZ)

A poor picture, but the brass piece should unscrew after you cut the lead off.

Author: packy (MA)

it will unscrew but if it doesn't want to come loose, cut it about 1/4 inch from the cast and then carefully cut a couple of slots into the stub and collapse the brass piece.

Author: NoHub (MA)

That's some old Plumbing....early to Mid 1920's I'd say.

Thanks everyone. clap

Thanks everyone, I did attempt to unscrew it and it worked like a charm. Now I can thread in a 1-1/4" PVC male adapter and be on my way.

NoHub: Yessir, thereabouts, 1916 to be exact.

[imgur.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks everyone. clap

clean those threads really well with a wire brush.
i'm guessing those are 1 1/2 no 1 1/4.
anyway. making a good seal at those threads can be tricky. i think i would load up the male threads of the adapter with silicone caulk and screw it into the iron pipe. be careful not to cross thread the adapter..

Roger that, cleaning and properly sealing is a priority.

I was expecting 1 1/2" also, but it is definitely a 1 1/4" tap (I grabbed a schedule 40 male adapter and tried it).

WOW, a 4 by 1 1/4 XH tapped TY... never have seen one..

I don't think I have ever seen a 1 1/4" DWV wiped joint either.

look at the second picture in the first post. how is that trap connected? looks like a tailpiece wiped into the lead. it also looks like an 1 1/2 inch solid trap ???

It is definitely weird; here are some more pictures.

Of course there is no such thing as a 1-1/4" DWV PVC fitting, so a rule is getting broken no matter how I repipe it.

[imgur.com]

Author: steve (CA)

Nibco makes 1ΒΌ" PVC DWV fittings.

That is what it looks like but then the solder nipple would NOT have been into a 1 1/4" tee thread.

But the only place you will find them is on the Internet.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.