Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Correct Heating Element for Oil Immersion
Author: Grassyknoll (HI)

OK, please excuse my limited level of knowledge regarding boilers/elements etc..

Here is my question. We are rehabbing a custom made boiler unit at the company I manage. We have hit a wall concerning what type of heating element we should be using in said boiler. The boiler unit itself consists of a re-purposed 45 gallon water heater that is filled with canola oil and heated to about 190f. the heated canola oil than is pumped to circulate around a jacketed vessel.

This unit had been working fine for about 10 years until the thermostats went out. During thermostat replacement my maintenance manager decided to replace the water heater as well. Unfortunately, that unit was discarded so we aren't sure what type of heating element was being used. The elements looked like standard 240v 1 1/4" threaded water heater elements. We have since then burned up a number of water heater elements and our research led us to the understanding that due to oils' slower heat transfer you can't use water heater elements as they will burn through very quickly.
So my question is whether anyone can provide some guidance on what type of element we should be using?

We have tried local plumbing professionals, but being on a tropical island in the middle of the pacific, we seem to have a shortage of plumbers with boiler experience.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Correct Heating Element for Oil Immersion
Author: hj (AZ)

Use stainless steel elements which do not have to be immersed to prevent burn out. You will know when you have the correct ones because they will cost in the neighborhood of $55.00 each.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Grassyknoll (HI)

"Author: hj (AZ)
Use stainless steel elements which do not have to be immersed to prevent burn out. You will know when you have the correct ones because they will cost in the neighborhood of $55.00 each."

Is that pretty much the only criteria I need to be concerned with is that they are S units? One of the people we spoke with at a plumbing suppl store was mentioning something about watt density.

Again, this is outside my field of expertise so please excuse my ignorance.

Author: hj (AZ)

A 'single loop" is high watt density, which I NEVER use. A "double foldback loop" is low watt density, which extends the life of the element, but the cheap ones will still burn out if the heat does not transfer to the media fast enough and they overheat.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.