Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Does Ultra type TP clog toilets?
Author: highstream (MT)

The condo owner had one of those environmentally efficient type toilets (Glacier Bay) put in last year and it was working fine until this past June. Since then, every one to few days it backs up, mainly after larger bowel movements. I've tried a toilet plunger, Zep drain care, and a 6' augur numerous times over the months, but nothing seems to last. The management company called Roto Rooter, who found nothing but suggested that the cause was likely my use of Ultra type toilet paper (White Cloud). He said it has cellulose and thus doesn't break down and clear the initial piping as easily as non-Ultra TP. Is that true? Why it would start long after I started using White Cloud I'm not sure, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Thanks,

Edited 1 times.

Re: Does Ultra type TP clog toilets?
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

33 single sheets are use in the standard test for flushing. Flush often. Don't let human waste gather in the bowl. Flush often.

Best Wishes

I always flush immediately except overnight (liquid) and then I'm nowhere near 33 sheets. I just switched to a non-Ultra "green" type to see what happens, but my question is about the cellulose claim.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would check the water level in the tank first, then see how much water it uses from the tank during a flush. The toilet paper breaking down is only a concern after it has made it to the septic tank.

Thanks. Here are three photos, one of the toilet bowl and two of the tank, one at rest and one at low flush point:

[tinypic.com].

The water line valve is fully open.

The toilet is on the third floor relative to the garage, where the drain pipes are. This condo is in a group of four, with the pipes for all four going through my garage, including the toilet lines I assume. I also assume there's a common septic system for the whole lot of condos (27). Since both I and the RotoRooter guy have only used 6' augurs, we aren't getting close to that. So what conclusion should I draw (and maybe tell the mgt company)? I had been using this brand/type of TP with this toilet for about a year before the stoppage started - and nothing else is going in (no hair). You seem to be implying that Mr. RotoRooter's explanation does not match the symptoms, whether or not his cellulose claim is right.

Edited 5 times.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

>He said it has cellulose and thus doesn't break down and clear the initial piping as easily as non-Ultra TP. Is that true?

As North Carolina Plumber said, if the toilet paper does break down, it does so in the septic tank, not in the waste lines near the toilet.

Author: hj (AZ)

90% of the time it is the toilet's design, not the paper. As I have said before, the toilet I install, NOT a Toto, is almost, if not completely, impossible to clog.

Author: hj (AZ)

Citing Roto-Rooter as an "expert" is usually an oxymoron.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.