Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 2 hot water pipes to sink? (Illinois)
Author: youngcouplefirsthouse (IL)

Hi, we just bought our first home (it's a complete fixer upper but was supposedly custom built by the owner of a company that built houses in the 60's and early 70's).

I'm remodeling a bathroom and can't make sense of this pipe setup:

Picture is from the closet wall being opened behind the bathroom.

The picture shows the first sink. You can hardly see it, but the cold water supply pipe is hidden beside the 2x4.

The question involves the hot water pipe. why would there be a second pipe that's even attached above where it shoots off to the sink? It is not the same for the other sink and is not setup that way anywhere else in the house. Also, it has nothing to do with how the hot/cold continue to the second vanity. The pipe runs off to god knows where.

Thank you!

PS: There is also a weird copper pipe I'm trying to figure out coming from the water heater downstairs. Even locating the water heater manual I see nothing about why they would have added connector pieces that attach a copper pipe from what I believe is the drain valve -- the pipe runs FAR through-out the house. I haven't fully tracked it yet, but it's over 50' and runs along with the other hot/cold copper pipes to the rest of the house. I'm wondering if this is where it leads and maybe it's an overflow system or something along the lines of water comes from the water heater in the basement and then this is a way for it to get back down? Although I haven't seen anything like that in books on plumbing a bathroom or in the manual on the water heater. I also see that all of the plumbing (sinks/showers) have an extra extension of copper and a T connector. I'm wondering if that's old school plumbing and found to not be needed since the books I see on plumbing I haven't seen that before and see just a 90 degree connector turning the pipe to the sink without needing a T connection and extra pipe extended upwards.

Last, we have well/septic if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much for reading this far!

Re: 2 hot water pipes to sink? (Illinois)

Additional photos...

Here's the view from below the upstairs double vanity:

Here's 2 pictures of the unknown bottom water heater copper pipe since I can't figure that one out either and wonder if it's linked to the pipe above.

I believe the spot on the water heater is the drain valve hole. The first part going straight out could make sense to drain the unit (although I thought that was what the plastic white pipe was for). However, the part how it has a T connector that then has a copper pipe going up and later following along the hot/cold pipe I don't understand what it's for.

Edited 1 times.

Actually, is that extra pipe on the vanity COMPLETELY normal and that's simply how the hot then goes to another room?

I'm learning as I go and I THINK there is originally just 1 hot and 1 cold coming from the water heater.. so somehow that has to split off to all of the bathrooms/laundry/kitchen so maybe that's all it is? That's an upstairs bathroom but there's also a master bathroom nearby so maybe that pipe goes off to there.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The extra pipe at the water heater is for a gravity recirculation system. It constantly allows hot water to flow throughout the home so that you won't have to wait long for hot water to arrive at the fixtures.
The other pipe at the sink may have been home made air chambers, they suppose to prevent water hammer, but after they fill with water they are useless.

Author: hj (AZ)

The second line is a recirculation line, but without a check valve, and maybe a pump, it is useless.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.