Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Soldering soft copper to hard fitting
Author: plam (NY)

Hello.
I'm trying to solder a soft copper coil to a regular fitting and its not working, (I did already a lot of soldering and never had a problem) is there any tips or tricks for soft copper? Do I have to work with it in a special way?
Thanks for any reply.

Re: Soldering soft copper to hard fitting
Author: steve (CA)

What's "not working"? It solders the same.

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Did you drain the pipe before soldering. If there is any water in the pipe and you heat it you will get steam and it will blow the solder out of the joint.

Not drawing the solder to the joint.

No water in the pipe.

Author: hj (AZ)

There is something wrong with your technique then, because if the tubing and fittings are "proper sized" it WILL solder if you do it correctly.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If the joint was fluxed then either you aren't using enough heat or too much.

I did a couple more joints at that same time in the same mannor but only the joints at the 2 ends of the soft copper pipe did not pull in the solder.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

The soft copper is new? Not previously used, correct?

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

Any chance the soft copper is slightly out of round at the ends?

Its not new, was removed for remodeling and now I'm installing it again.
And yes there is a chance that its slightly out of the perfect round and I did already a few cuts trying to hold it in shape but it could still be 'very slightly' out of round.
However for now I ended up using 'Sharkbite' push-ins and everything is fine but I would still like to figure out what I did wrong, and if there is any thing special with soft copper.

Author: hj (AZ)

you DID something wrong and there is NOTHING "special" about soft copper as far as soldering goes.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Did you sand the pipe til it was bright and shiny ?

yes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.