Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Left/right gas pipe fittings - installation technique and pitfalls
Author: sbmmm (FL)

When installing left/right gas pipe fittings, I have read (and once experienced) frustrations with this solution. one FAQ product page, stated the following:

Q. "Any left- and right-hand tricks?"

A. The trick for left- and right-hand fittings and couplings is to get the correct bite the first time. The way to do that is to insert one side of the nipple/coupling and hand-tighten. Count the number of turns to get it to hand-tight. Then take apart and do the same on the other side. If one side took more turns to get it to hand-tighten, then add (or subtract) that number before starting; and turn that amount into the side that took more turns. In other words, the secret is to tighten the same amount after hand-tightening.

It seems that it's easy to tighten one side more than the other and the FAQ answer provides a reasonable technique for the correct installation. Are there any other thoughts or experiences that may help? What installation procedure do you use to assure the best, leak-free results?

Re: Left/right gas pipe fittings - installation technique and pitfalls
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Is anyone still using L-R nipples?

Author: Paul48 (CT)
Is anyone still using L-R nipples?

I don't understand your post, Paul, as it wasn't an answer to the question.

BTW, unions are not allowed in enclosed spaces in my jurisdiction and I will not be re-piping the whole house. L/R fittings are allowed and I am looking for helpful hints for a successful installation.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'm sorry.....Unions are not allowed in inaccessible locations in most, if not all, jurisdictions. It's been a while since I've seen a l-r nipple used. There is almost always another way to "skin a cat". Can you provide details about what you are doing, and or photos?

Author: steve (CA)

That's the way I install them.

OK, this is a single story residence with a gable roof. The gas pipe runs from the meter, up to attic space and services a combo AC/heating roof unit, a cooktop in the kitchen, a dryer and a water heater. The dryer and water heater are at the opposite end of the house from the meter. Also, there used to be a gas furnace that has been eliminated. Near where the combo unit and kitchen supply branches off a leak was detected at a fitting on a 6' run of pipe. A left/right coupling and 4" nipple were used in this section to correct the problem. It worked without a leak with the 15 psi pressure test and passed the City's inspection without issue.

Fast forward a year and more work has been done to the house (with a new permit) for an addition including a second bath and modified laundry room. Small sections of new gas lines have been installed to accommodate the new placement of the water heater and dryer. After the work was completed, the pressure test revealed a leak. It was traced back to the L/R fittings. It must have been somehow disturbed or the seal on one side was too weak. The soap bubbles only showed a leak on one side of the L/R fittings, so obviously the installation technique suffered from equal insertion depths for both sides of the nipple. I want to make sure there is no question this time and I am looking for experiences that may help with this tricky install. Thanks.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you are using the proper method

I would also use permatex pipe joint compound - the messy, black, gooey stuff.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Anyone repairing gas lines in inaccessible locations.

Thanks smiling smiley

OK, thanks everyone. I will definitely try the Permatex as well.

Edited 1 times.

Author: NoHub (MA)

Left- right couplings are illegal on gas in Massachusetts.

Author: hj (AZ)

That is hard to believe, especially in MA.

Author: bernabeu (SC)
you are using the proper method

I would also use permatex pipe joint compound - the messy, black, gooey stuff.

I just bought some Permatex Pipe Joint, but it was the last bottle and I'm not sure if the store is selling it anymore. The product I bought was [www.permatex.com]

However, the viscosity listed in the tech specs is approximately equal to mustard. My bottle was more like black olive oil, definitely less viscous than mustard. Is this normal? Or is this possibly old (the date stamp is meant to be unrevealing to those without the code)? I have enough red flags about this particular bottle, but what is your experience?

How about this option? [www.gasoila.com] Or does the Permatex possibly have better qualities for my situation?

Thanks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.