Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need help disassembling a Grohe 19624 Shower thermostat
Author: jfriend00 (CA)

I have a Grohe 19624 Shower thermostat like this the one shown here: [goo.gl].

It is leaking and I need to get it apart to replace some o-rings. But, I can't for the life of me figure out how you get the handle off. There is no visible set screw anywhere. Does anyone have any idea how to get the handle off so I can get to the innards?

This is about a 16 year old part that is now discontinued so extensive internet searches have not turned up any installation or maintenance documentation. Also, because it's discontinued, I don't want to take any risk of damaging the part in trying to disassemble it either.

The exploded diagram in the above link implies that the cap would come off the end, but no amount of persuasion indicates that the cap would come off without breaking something.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Need help disassembling a Grohe 19624 Shower thermostat
Author: steve (CA)

I believe the cap unscrews from the handle body. Might need a rubber strap wrench.

Author: packy (MA)

if the end cap unscrewed grohe would have put circular shaped arrows on their drawing. it snaps off. you will need to get something sharp and pry it loose.
as you are taking this apart, take pictures and make notes.
especially of the temperature adjusting knob and how it is set..

Do you know that it snaps off or that's just your logical conclusion based on the drawing? If I deform it slightly by squeezing with pliers wrapped in cloth, I can get a screw driver in between the end-cap and the knurled part of the knob, but so far a lot of pressure doesn't really do anything but bend the plastic. Without knowing that it really does snap off, I'm afraid I will break something with the amount of force it seems like it would take.

i don't know for sure...
it sure seems that doing what you are doing would make it pop off..
its worth a try to see if it unscrews ???
you can also call grohe technical help..
lastly, as for my assumption.. grohe is an internationally sold product. so rather than print their directions in multiple languages they give you diagrams with X's, O's and arrows.
a real PITA for us installers and repair plumbers.
i feel your pain..

Author: hj (AZ)

Unscrew it.

[#$%&] 47427#

i don't see where this would unscrew ???
enlarge it and have a look see..

grohe does have handles that snap onto the stem ???
you hold it in place and rap it with the heel of your hand.
remove it by wiggling and pulling towards you.
as i said, a real PITA..

Problem Solved!

I sent a note through Grohe's web-site explaining which shower thermostat I had and that I needed instructions for disassembly for repair. Two days later, they sent me (via email) instructions which worked perfectly. Kudos to Grohe!

The cap on the end does unscrew. Once I knew that, I was able to confidently grip it and unscrew it.

For anyone interested, here are the instructions they sent me: [drive.google.com]

next time someone calls and asks me "can you come over and fix my grohe valve? it should only take 5 minutes."
i'm going to forward them this thread...

Well, problem isn't solved yet. I was able to unscrew the endcap and then remove parts T, N, M and K from the diagram they sent me. And, then I can remove the cover plate E, F and G. But, then I get stuck.

The next step is to remove a clip U which will enable the next step where you remove V. But, removal of the clip is blocked by the sleeve E (a brass cosmetic sleeve that goes all the way back to the main brass casting that everything is mounted on. I can't figure out how to remove that sleeve E. It feels like it is firmly pressed onto the back casting. I don't see any signs of threads in any of the diagrams and the instructions don't say anything about how that sleeve is either installed or removed. I've tried to grip it and turn or wiggle it off, but it doesn't budge. I can see the clip I need to remove next, but I can't pull it out far enough until that sleeve E is removed from around it.

Any ideas?

Here are the overall instructions Grohe sent me: [drive.google.com]

Here are the relevant diagrams from within that document so you can see what parts I'm talking about:

Edited 2 times.

thia i have worked on...
slide it forward. there is a groove in the body with an "O" ring in it. the inside of that piece slides over the "O" ring to hold it stable.

slide it forward. there is a groove in the body with an "O" ring in it. the inside of that piece slides over the "O" ring to hold it stable.

Slide what forward?

The sleeve E is very firmly attached and does not appear to slide.

E will slide.. see the diagram..

Thanks for the helpful thoughts here. smiling smiley

Finally got everything apart, replaced the thermostat and have everything back together.

The sleeve E just needed a lot more persuasion with a strap wrench and some taps with the hammer to eventually get it unstuck from the main valve housing so I could remove it and get to the clip.

It is odd that once they stop making a product, you can no longer get some of the parts so if you break something, you have to replace the entire assembly which would involve tearing open the wall. Fortunately, they still make the thermostat for this one and I could get one locally, but they don't make some of the other parts of the assembly. So, if you break something in disassembly, you could be in for a major repair.

Thanks for the helpful thoughts here.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.